Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
Hey all, I'm finally home from college for the summer and with a job I have a steady source of income for the next 3-4 months. I would really like to upgrade my PowerBook's internal memory. I have a 15 inch Rev A. Aluminum book, and it has the stock 2x256 MB of RAM installed. I'm using the laptop for Flash development, basic Photoshop 7, and mid-level Final Cut Pro 3 on top of the usual word processing/internet college student use. Even with a summer job, I am somewhat strapped for cash at this time since I also need to be saving for next school year. I can get a two 512MB chips for $198 or a single 1GB chip for $316. It seems like it would be better to just go ahead and get the 512MB chips because I should be able to cover that on one week of pay. I know that I'll have additional chips to sell if I do want to upgrade further, but it seems like 1GB is enough RAM for at least the next year or two until the 1GB chips go down in price.

Am I thinking clearly here, or am I missing something important? Thanks all!

BTW, I also tend to leave apps running rather than quitting them because Mac OS X simply does an awesome job of managing 10-15 application simultaneously.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
You're thinking clearly ;) . I'd go with the 2x512MB also, but there is one problem. As far as I know, and I could be wrong but, isn't one of the 256MB chips non-removeable? Maybe I'm just thinking 12". I think I am :rolleyes: . In that case, go with the 2x512's. That should be fine for what you need to do.

Have a great summer,
JOD8FY

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I'd get the 1 gig now.

But...I don't think this is a qustion that others can answer for you. It comes down to one thing: It is more important for you to save money now or allow for an easier upgrade later?

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
I would also go for the 1 Gig now. You will have more total memory for the time being since you will still be able to use one of the 256 MB sticks.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
grapes911 said:
I'd get the 1 gig now.

But...I don't think this is a qustion that others can answer for you. It comes down to one thing: It is more important for you to save money now or allow for an easier upgrade later?

I think that saving money now is where I want to go, but I was wondering if 1 GB vs. 1.25 GB is going to be over half a month's food budget worth of noticeable? I'm certainly not going to get 2x1GB now, and it seems like by time I have more money and want to upgrade further, the 1GB chips will be cheaper. I think about it this way. $200 now + 2 x $200 for the price of the 1 GB chips two years down the road is $600. $320 now for 1GB and $200 the second 1GB chip two years down the road is still $520. The price is not a big difference if the market goes in a predictable direction.

I've read that SDRAM prices are going to rise later this year due to increased demand, but it seems that in the future the prices will eventually drop.

Is there something inherently different about manufacturing 1GB chips, or are they unnaturally expensive now just because they are newer?

kenkooler

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Mexico City
I'd go with the 2x512M now, the 1G dimms are still too expensive, compared with the 512M ones.

By the time you'll need to upgrade the RAM again, the 1G ones will be much cheaper.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
You're broke. Don't worry about future upgrades right now; it could be two years before you want to upgrade, or you may get rid of it before then. I'd definitely go 2x512.

paul

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
paulwhannel said:
You're broke. Don't worry about future upgrades right now; it could be two years before you want to upgrade, or you may get rid of it before then. I'd definitely go 2x512.

paul

my thoughts exactly.

you need it, get it. and try and save the most money in the meantime. dont' "struggle" through the present so you can worry about the future... just deal with the problem now, the most inexpensive way.

...yeah, that made sense, right?

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Yes, 2x512 MB.

Besides, from reports I've read on here and other Apple boards, sometimes going over 1 GB doesn't even bring any noticable differences in performance. So 1 GB of RAM may be the most you'll ever need for your PB.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
yea i remember barefeats showing something about how 1GB being the most effecient in terms of how much $$ you are spending on Ram vs. how much performance you are getting out of x-amount of ram. and since the only reason to get a 1GB chip would be to have more than 1GB in the future... 2 x 512MB would be the way to go.

also check out the free TurboMem app from macupdate.com its a ram defragmenter and i gotta say its very effecient if you are switching around from FCP to Photoshop and such. MenuMeters is another good free app that will show your Used and Free Ram in the menu bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.