2x512 or 1x1gb?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hkarlsen, Aug 27, 2005.

1. hkarlsen macrumors member

Hi again!

Just finishing up my order for a new PB 15" 1.67, 1 GB ram 128 mb video.
    Im thinking about getting the 1 GB ram on a singel dimm, because I will save alot more compared to my native prices (ordering from abroad). Is there a performance difference between the two setups (2x512 and 1x1gb)? Im thinking its also smart with one free ram slot, and perhaps theres a battery boost when theres one open slot...?

Thanks for any help!

Regards
    Haavar

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

yea its better to do it on one because if u want to upgrade you can, and you don't have to "throw out" the ram in one of the slots....

3. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Or both...... :eek:

Yeah, well worth the extra expense if you want maximum expandability and to make future upgrades much easier.

4. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Definitely go with the 1GB stick. I have 2x512, and I need to get a 1GB stick myself.

5. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

Soo, one free ram slot is the only benifit, what about the effects of battery life, and is 512 ram 2x fast then the whole gig in only one slot??

6. jim. macrumors 6502

Actually another benefit is that if (heaven forbid) one of your memory slots fail outside of warranty, as seems to happen occasionally with 15" PBs, then you will still have 1G of memory as opposed to 512M. This is a pessimistic outlook, though. Power consumption should not be affected at all.

Unless you know you will be buying a new laptop in a year, or that your requirements will never change, then expandability potential is always good. I went with 1x1G for that very reason.

Jim

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yep - go with the 1GB stick. you may want to add more later - that's what i did.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

To clarify: There is no performance benefit in a Powerbook to matching RAM, RAM is addressed by the machine singly, so the 1 Gb SODIMM solution is best.

However even better would be to order from Apple with one 512, then add a 1 Gb from a reputable third-party source, for 1,5 Gb RAM total.

9. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i second to that. do not waste your time thinking about performance or battery issues which are secondary to the upgrading issue which will become important for you within two years for sure.

i know. i had my 2x256MB modules wasted on a titanium powerbook.

10. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

its always best to put the max a slot can take. when I upgraded my powermac to 1gb I had to take out 3 sticks. so in the end not buying the max capacity per slot cost me more money.