Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonafide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Is it likely with todays release of the 3.0 Ghz Mac Pro (8 Core) that the next update for the iMac will as well be 3.0 Ghz?

I'm not trying to start rumours here.. just interested to know what has happened in the past and is it likely to occur again? I just figured seeing they have the 3.0 Ghz parts why not use them in the iMac too?

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
There have been 3 GHz Mac Pros since the Mac Pro was introduced.

The iMac uses the mobile version of intel's Core 2 Duo processor. I know the desktop versions of the chip hit 3 GHz but I doubt the mobile versions do.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Is it likely with todays release of the 3.0 Ghz Mac Pro (8 Core) that the next update for the iMac will as well be 3.0 Ghz?

I'm not trying to start rumours here.. just interested to know what has happened in the past and is it likely to occur again? I just figured seeing they have the 3.0 Ghz parts why not use them in the iMac too?

This has been talked about a lot: once again, except for the hard drive and screen, iMacs use laptop components. Besides, you're not just one step away in the comparison here, you're two steps away -- the Mac Pro uses Intel's highest end chips, the workstation/server processors. It doesn't even use the standard desktop line processors (no Mac does, currently). If anything, the iMac would start using desktop processors before workstation/server processors...but I doubt that it will -- Apple probably wants to continue making the iMac smaller and thinner, and the easiest way to do that is stick with mobile parts.

MacBass

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
La Crosse, WI
This has been talked about a lot: once again, except for the hard drive and screen, iMacs use laptop components. Besides, you're not just one step away in the comparison here, you're two steps away -- the Mac Pro uses Intel's highest end chips, the workstation/server processors. It doesn't even use the standard desktop line processors (no Mac does, currently). If anything, the iMac would start using desktop processors before workstation/server processors...but I doubt that it will -- Apple probably wants to continue making the iMac smaller and thinner, and the easiest way to do that is stick with mobile parts.

I concur, the only model I think would even see 3 GHz would be the 24", but that's even iffy. I doubt that we will even see a 3 GHz processor, I think its more likely that we'd see a quad-core 24" BTO option before we see the 3 GHz mark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.