3-4 weeks for an Imac!??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by the_insider, Jan 13, 2006.

1. the_insider macrumors regular

the_insider

I ordered a new 20” iMac fully maxed out with a 500gb hard drive, and now I have to wait 3-4 weeks before it is even shipped out!? Apparently it is taking this long because I have to wait on the hard drive. Do you think this is normal for an order to take this long!? Is anyone else waiting this long?

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

yep - normal. why dont you just get the 250 and use an external if you really need it. the wait time gets shortened alot

3. the_insider thread starter macrumors regular

the_insider

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sadly yes, the 3-4 weeks sounds normal for you. My BTO Power Mac G5 took ~3 weeks until it arrived at my house. Remember, good things come in due time. :)

5. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

because your getting a part that isnt readily available to apple.

6. Sunrunner macrumors 6502a

Sunrunner

BTO is BTO, it doesnt matter how simple the customization is, it still has to wait in line with all of the other hand-modified systems. Of course waiting 4 weeks seems increadibly sucky right now, but in a few months you wont even give it a second thought.

7. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Man i reccomend you cancel your current order and order the normal iMac with 160gb Hard drive and order a 500gb SATA separately and fit it yourself, this will work out cheaper (especially once you sell the 160gb on eBay) and far quicker, also it doesnt void warranty in fact more likely to extend it if you get a seagate you get 5year warranty..

Also fitting a hard drive into an iMac is a piece of cake..

SHadoW

8. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Would adding a hard drive yourself to the new iMac void the warranty since the only thing that's supposed to be "user accessible" is the memory? Also, can you easily removed the back of the iMac (iSight G5 and Intel) like you can with the rev. a and rev. b versions? I'm curious. I'm thinking about getting one and but have been hesitant since the new ones don't have instructions about upgrading/replacing the hard drive.

9. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

The new iMac G5 isight is not as easy to open as the older versions. No one has seen an intelMac open yet so i can't comment but i'm guessing it will use the same case and be just as hard to open.

Opening it will void your warranty.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

when did you order it? I ordered a BTO Quad right after the keynote when the store opened up again and my machine isn't shipping till next Tuesday.

D

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Opening it won't void your warranty. The failure of none-Apple components that cause damage aren't covered by your warranty. I believe you have to remove them before shipping and will have to pay for their damage.