3.5" HD in a 2.5" bay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by szsiddiq, Feb 28, 2007.

1. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

For a mod im working on, I'd like to install a 3.5" hard drive into my 12" powerbook's 2.5" ata bay. i doubt there's a good way to do this, and i will probably just use an external hd, but just incase, is there a converter that would allow you to do this?

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

You can buy adapters that will convert between 2.5 and 3.5 inch ATA connectors. However you'll still need to provide the power from somewhere.

Obviously it's not going to fit inside the case...

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well it won't fit physically inside of a PowerBook, so you're better off just putting it in an external enclosure.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

LOL

How good are you with a hacksaw and bondo?

Send pictures...

5. szsiddiq thread starter macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

lol
    well actually, im still in the middle of another mod (a tablet), and am just brainstorming for another one...ive a spare 12" logic board thats good except for its ability to power an internal LCD.
    since its unlikely that id be able to sell it for much, i might use it for another project. :)

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

When you guys are done helping szsiddiq, I could use your help too.

See, I have a Volkswagen, and a bunch of clowns...

7. szsiddiq thread starter macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

haha, very funny.

i guess i didnt make it clear. Im not trying to put a 3.5" drive into a 12" powerbook's case. Instead, i just have a 12" powerbook's logic board.
    The logic board won't be going into the original case at all.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

certainly gave a different impression of your intentions.
    One assumes that the Powerbook ata bay is still inside the Powerbook in question...

9. szsiddiq thread starter macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

Lol, poor phrasing on my part...i shouldn't post during class i guess;)

anyways, i just meant id like to know if it is possible, it terms of the interface.
    at this point though, id probably get a 20gb hd to keep the OS on, and get an external for mass storage (only for cost effectiveness).

10. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

aCtually you could get a new case with the 12" PB logic board and then connect that to the 3.5" HD mounted?

11. szsiddiq thread starter macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

Hm, arnt the interfaces different?

12. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

OK, time to be helpful.

Yes, there are adapters to convert the standard 40-pin IDE/ATA interface to a 44-pin interface suitable for the laptop hard drive. The 44-pin interface is the same ATA protocol as the regular 40-pin one, but includes the 5 volt power supply and ground pins. The pinouts are likely different, but the signalling is the same.

Generally you use these adaptors for the opposite reason -- to install a laptop hard drive in a full-size machine, where power supply connectors are generally abundant. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it in reverse, but you would need to supply power to the drive from somewhere. The power supplied by the laptop won't be enough to power a full-size hard drive (which I believe needs both 5v and 12v).

Hope that helps.