3.5" photos on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blerns3, Dec 2, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

When I take pictures with my iPhone 5, I get the black bars so it's the size of previous iPhone screens. Is this normal or is there a setting to make them 4 inches?

I never thought about it before but I just saw the iPhone 5 commercial that highlights photo streaming and all of the pictures are the size of the full screen. I realize that Apple can do whatever they want for their commercials but I wasn't sure if it was that or I could actually take 4" photos. Thanks for any answers!

2. macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Photo format is 4:3 and the iPhone screen is 16:9 so you will always have the black bars.
    You can always edit them and crop your photos to 16:9 afterwards if you prefer.

16:9 is HD video format
    4:3 is "normal point and shoot digital camera format, although many cameras now shoot 16:9 or 16:10 or 3:2 as standard

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

So does that mean that the photos on the commercial were cropped and edited and such?

4. macrumors 6502a

My friend I am afraid to say that is what they did.

I was disappointed about the black bars and to be honest the iPhone 5 pics are smaller than 4. But c est la vie.

5. macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Many think of that commercial, but it's likely Apple made those photo's specifically for that screen size.

Also the previous iPhones had those bars aswell, although they did not show because the photo's are slightly zoomed in. You can try this on any iPhone 4 or 4S. Take a picture and try zooming out as far as possible, you'll get 2 bars top and bottom aswell.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys.

7. macrumors 6502a

Prime85

iPhone 5 has 8 megapixel camera where as the 4 has a 5 megapixel camera, so the iphone 5 actually takes bigger pictures then the 4.

If you compare the size of the pictures of Iphone 5 to the 4S then they will be the same size.

8. macrumors 6502a

Are u sure I have looked at them side by side and it smaller

9. macrumors 6502a

Prime85

It's not how the look on the phone. The megapixels will be how big you can blow the picture up without it looking pixelated and without reducing detail. On the phone they will be the same size. It will just look smaller on the 5 due to the black bars playing tricks on your eyes.

10. macrumors 6502a

Minhimalism

Look at them on a computer.