Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
My TV's built-in speakers are really crappy and I don't want to have to use them anymore if I end up getting the new Apple TV. I do have a set of nice speakers that I used to hook up to my computer that use a 3.5 mm audio jack. Does anybody know if there's a converter out there that can allow me to use these speakers with the optical audio port on the back of the ATV? I'm looking right now but don't really know what to look for, any help would be appreciated.

edit - would something like this work? http://www.trianglecables.com/mini-plug-toslink.html
sorry guys, I don't know anything about audio...

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
You would need something that converts digital to analog audio and that won't work.

Does your TV have audio out? Just get a RCA->mini jack plug and be done with it.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2008
You would need something that converts digital to analog audio and that won't work.

Does your TV have audio out? Just get a RCA->mini jack plug and be done with it.

Thanks for your quick reply. I just checked and no, it does not have audio out...grr. Guess it's time to look into getting some new speakers..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.