3 Apple Express routers and an Extreme - My network is slow?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marknicholls, Feb 26, 2006.

1. marknicholls macrumors 6502

Hey

I have 1 Apple Extreme router which is used to connect my modem to my network, i have 3 Apple Express routers - 2 of them extend the range of my network (one of these has a printer and a stereo attatched) the 3rd is for music only

My network seems to be running very slow - its fine for 70% of the day but sometimes it is so slow my skype is unusable as it has 20 second delays!

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you running P2P apps?

Also, each additional base station link halves the throughput such that if you have a base station connected to another base station connected to the main base station then your maximum theoretical throughput is roughly 14Mbps rather than 54Mbps.

If there are no intermediate stations and all stations connect directly to the main one then your maximum theoretical throughput is 27Mbps. :)

3. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

It only seems to be really slow when i am connected to my works VPN

I thought that if an express was set up for audio and printing only then it would not have an adverse effect on the network range?

Anyone know when apple will release the next generation of routers? Bearing in mind they were at the forfront of wireless networking, i would have thought they would have gone next gen by now

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you able to try a different VPN client?

It's not the range, it's the speed that gets reduced. It shouldn't be an issue for most people though. Most people connect subsequent base stations directly to the original so they still get 27Mbps. Whether a printer, a stereo or both of these are connected to the base station doesn't affect anything. :)

5. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone know when apple will release the next generation of routers? Bearing in mind they were at the forfront of wireless networking, i would have thought they would have gone next gen by now