3 AppleCare Send-ins = New Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wowoah, Feb 29, 2004.

1. wowoah macrumors regular

I bought my PowerBook back in early September '03 and since then I've had to bring it into the Apple Store four times for hardware issues and have had to send it in to Apple three times (the third time was just yesterday). The first time I had mad screen issues and they had to replace the whole screen. The second time there were logic board problems and they replaced the whole logic board. Now this is the third time, I suspect there are still more logic board problems, plus my disk crashed and they can't revive it, so I might lose all my data, which is a big problem since I'm a student and I have all my class notes and unfinished papers on there.

My question: I've heard that after sending your computer three times to AppleCare, their policy is to simply replace the whole computer with a brand new one. Is this true, and if it is, how do I go about getting a new one? I already sent my computer in and wrote a long, polite, but frustrated letter to sjobs@apple.com. Any suggestions or past experiences would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Shaughn macrumors newbie

Unless I'm mistaken, you need to have three repairs for the same issue before they replace system.

Kind of lame, but I believe that's the way it is.

~S~

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Yep... 10 character minimum posts blah blah

4. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Darn, I was so close too. I'm on my 4th iBook logic board, which means 3 times I've sent it in. But technically the first repair was my fault. Did you know spilling grape juice all over an iBook could fry its logic board?