3-Button Bluetooth Mouse

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iAtom, Apr 20, 2004.

1. iAtom macrumors member

I am ordering a 15" Powerbook and I would love to be able to put it up on my desk and use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard without having to plug anything in. The Apple bluetooth keyboard looks perfect, but I do not want to buy Apple's bluetooth mouse because it only has 1 button. I need a mouse with at least 2 buttons and a scroll wheel that is a button. Does anyone know of good mouse for this purpose?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

MacMice is releasing one at some point which should fulfill your needs. You'll get varying reports on Logitech, Microsoft, Belkin, and BlueTake. I have the BlueTake one and dislike it but I'm too lazy to type up why as I've voiced it a good 3 or 4 times already. Do a search in the forums for bluetooth and I guarantee you'll find everything you're looking for.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Logitech has one out, and so does Microsoft. MacMice is coming out with one, in June they say. It was supposed to be this month but the bastages pushed it back! :mad:

4. ToddW macrumors 6502a

I just got a MX900 and it works great. with my 15" PB

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I like my Microsoft Bluetooth Intellimouse.

If you decide on this one, be sure that "Bluetooth" is in the name when you buy it - there's also an Intellimouse that isn't Bluetooth.

6. inocen1 macrumors member

Ha Westside guy, you forgot to mention that the Microsoft non-bluetooth mouse is a nice shade of BLUE in color! Its the blue non-bluetooth mouse. Hows that for wierd. Of course, they couldn't make the ACTUAL bluetooth mouse blue, heavens know. Everyone would get confused.
    Matthew :rolleyes:

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

But the M$ website says that it is for PC only. So you had no problems getting it to work?

8. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I had the MS bluetooth mouse, and it worked right out of the box. I didn't like the performance of mine though. It was not as smooth as a wired mouse, and that drove me crazy. Also, I could not stand the fact that it was huge! Way too big for a mouse (IMO).

Samuel L Bronkowitz

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Lord knows I'm confused now. :D

No problems at all - works out of the box. The side buttons (4 and 5) are automatically mapped to Expose.

If I had to guess, I'd guess MS says that because they don't provide any drivers - so the button mapping can't be changed (although some people on this forum have used some gamepad software from Versiontracker to swap mouse button functionality, apparently).

10. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

I'm on the cusp of buying a Logitech wireless mouse...my folks use one with their PC (5 buttons--left/right click, up/down scroll, and a button that shows you what windows are open) and it works like a DREAM...very impressive.

11. djkny macrumors 6502

Just ordered the Radtech bt-500 mouse. OEM'd from Bluetake. But I know Radtech does mucho tests on all its products and trust its choice to rebrand the bluetake for sale.

Looks small and sweet. We'll see.

12. encro macrumors 6502

encro

I have the MS Bluetooth Optical Desktop (BT Dongle, Keyboard and 5 button Mouse).

I already had a DLink dongle prior to that and the keyboard and mouse would not wake up after being idle for a while until I reboot. So I put the DLink dongle back in its box (Must sell it on eBay one day) and re-paired with the Microsoft BT Dongle. It all works fantastic now :)

My only wish is that the had on/off buttons because the are hyper-sensitive to movement and I find my batteries are dead after 1 month. Currently I take the batteries out when not in use.

13. tozsu macrumors newbie

Bluetooth

Can any of these mice connect directly to the PB's Bluetooth or does one need to attach the USB dongle that comes with them?

14. Ryan McCanical macrumors newbie

Any bluetooth mouse will work with the internal bluetooth in a powerbook. At least thats what I'm led to believe.

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've heard of people having slight problems when using the MS mouse with built-in Bluetooth, or maybe it was a non-MS dongle. Heck, it even might have been a different product with the MS dongle. All I'm really sure of is that it involved MS and Bluetooth :D