3 days old... first kernel panic

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by shellbryson, Jan 9, 2007.

1. shellbryson macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2006
    Hmmm brand new MP had it's first panic last night. Just installed the eyeTV USB, and while scanning for TV channels... *boom* panic.

I can't remember the last time I had a BSOD under Windows. This is very worrying... How reliable are the Mac Pros supposed to be?
  2. Trippy Jr macrumors member

Aug 10, 2006
    ONE kernel panic and you're questioning your machine? :rolleyes:

I've had one kernel panic, too. Otherwise, it's been hard at work since September. Don't worry so much.
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    At least dissect the System Log to see if the kernal panic is a 3rd party memory problem, Mac Pro problem, or software problem before you say the machine isn't reliable.

Could very well be the memory upgrade or a software issue. Though generally memory and USB/Firewire devices generally lead the pack in causing problems.
  4. shellbryson thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2006
    Okay thanks. I will investigate the log when I get back home. Suspect it was the EyeTV driver that did it. The machine was fine after that.
  5. nihilisticmonk macrumors 6502

May 4, 2005
    I've had 3 kernel panics on a (roughly) 4 month old macpro.

Once whilst runing Vine Server (VNC) which I blame on that, the other two whilst un-raring several large files at the same time from a raid array (again...I blame the program)

I've looked around the net, but can't really find any information on diagnosing kernal panics.

Anyone fancy giving a link up, or a rough guide on how to check what's going on behind the useless code.
  6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Diagnosing kernel panics is largely voodoo. Sometimes the panic log provides evidence if one device is implicated but as often as not the returns are too vague and generalized to interpret. The "good" news is, from experience we know that kernel panics are overwhelmingly caused by hardware faults, usually bad RAM, followed by motherboards, then hard drives. So unless you've installed new software recently which involves a driver or a kernel extension, hardware is always the first place to look.
  7. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Oct 28, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've had quite a few kernal panics on a MacBook Pro I got a couple months ago, also suspiciously tied to a USB peripheral. There is a tendancy to have a panic if I unplug this Logitech keyboard I have. I'm still using the keyboard, but I put the machine to sleep before I disconnect it.
  8. yojitani macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    An octopus's garden
    This may also sound like voodoo: A few days after I got my powermac, I kept getting kernal panics. I can't remember if I had anything attached or not... So I called up a tech guy at my former company to get some help. His recommendation was to reinstall the OS because, in his opinion, most factory installs are faulty. I reinstalled (a clean reinstall, btw) and never had the problem again, whatever it was. Since then, the first thing I do with a new machine is reinstall the os...

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Yup, that sounds like voodoo alright. I maintain three Macs with a combined OSX usage of close to 15 years, with not a single OS reinstall. Virtually all of the only kernel panics I've ever experienced during this time were related to bad RAM.
  10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Removing certain USB devices is more precarious than removing others. Obviously, keyboards and mice are essential to the operation of the computer, so it would be more delicate.

It's been a very long time since I've seen a kernel panic but it happens. It's always a good idea to be cautious about what you put into the system.
  11. cshrumors macrumors newbie

Oct 19, 2007
    It's the EyeTV hardware and software.

I have a Pinnacle HD Stick "TV For Mac" USB video recorder and use the pro version of the EyeTV software.

It is guaranteed to kernel panic a Mac Pro within a day or so of firing it up.

This is a well known problem and I've talked to several users who have bought USB video and now can't use it.

It's probably a combination of Apple USB layer bugs and bugs in the Elgato USB drivers that comes with EyeTV.

Several people have filed trouble tickets with Elgato, but from what I've heard they rarely even resond. They haven't responded to me either.

It's too bad too, because it was nice to have when it worked.
  12. network23 macrumors 6502

Dec 18, 2002
    So would that be a specific, "Mac Pro" issue?

I bought their EyeTV Hybrid last MWSF and ran it just about 24/7 in my MBP for at least four months without any troubles.
  13. mfrank02 macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2007
    It's the EyeTV/Drivers

I have had a EyeTV Hybrid for about 6 months. It will cause a kernal panic sooner or later on my Mac, usually when I am doing something over the USB bus (mouse, drive, iPod/iTunes). The following typical console error log would seem to support this:
    0x4a55bfc8 : 0x19b21c (0x0 0x0 0x19e0b5 0x96fa4a8) Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0x0
    Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
    dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily(2.7.7)@0x536000
    dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.2)@0x557000

I have gotten zero support from elgato so at this point I run at my own risk until I can find a more reliable product to replace. Too bad, I like their s/w but I won't buy anything from them again.