Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
Hi everyone,

Of course I'll pose this question to the Apple customer support representative I've been working with, but she won't be back until Tuesday, so I'd merely like to inquire in the meantime if anyone can help: When you initially purchased an iMac (27") around the end of November from a reseller (MacConnection) and have worked with Apple support going through a total of 3 defective iMacs in a row, would Apple be able/willing to instead provide a refund at this point, more than a month later?

This was going to be my conversion to Apple, but over the course of a month+ I've been through a kind of frustration and inconvenience I've never even been through with Windows PCs in 20 years of use, as frustrating as they have been. So if a refund is possible, I may return to Windows in the meantime.

Thank you.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Ask them. Try to contact the executive relations or something, so you don't have to answer 1000 of the same questions again.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
you had a good chance for a refund in the UK, but i doubt in the USA or elsewhere ,where you just have to accept repair or exchange ,
here in the UK you only have to mention "small claims court" and "customer goods act "and you get refunded anything ,
great thing this customer goods act and its actually quiet simple
goods supplied must be as described, and fit for purpose. If they are not, and you take them back to the retailer in a reasonable length of time you are entitled to a refund - although you may accept a replacement

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
you had a good chance for a refund in the UK, but i doubt in the USA or elsewhere ,where you just have to accept repair or exchange ,
here in the UK you only have to mention "small claims court" and "customer goods act "and you get refunded anything ,
great thing this customer goods act and its actually quiet simple
goods supplied must be as described, and fit for purpose. If they are not, and you take them back to the retailer in a reasonable length of time you are entitled to a refund - although you may accept a replacement

No such act. I think you are referring to the Sale of Goods Act.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
It's annoying to hear that Apple's shoddy workmanship on the 27" iMac's are driving new customers away from the Mac.

I don't imagine a refund will be an issue within 1 month, especially if you've had faulty units previously and are unhappy with the current unit.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
I've been through a kind of frustration and inconvenience I've never even been through with Windows PCs in 20 years of use, as frustrating as they have been. So if a refund is possible, I may return to Windows in the meantime.

Thank you.

I understand your frustration.. but what in the world does this have to do with windows pcs being better? Just because the imac has problems doesn't mean the macbook line or the mac pro line has problems. I've never had a single mac with problems - one of my macbook pros just died once (I was rather rough on it) and they fixed it for free (out of warranty)

I would still buy an imac even with all the problems - because I can rely on Apple's customer service.

The imac is a brand new design (powerful chips in a sleek enclosure) Quality control failed big time on this - but that doesn't really mean that windows pcs are better. Their design is essentially the same - you're buying a box with parts inside - which has been done for years.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
It's annoying to hear that Apple's shoddy workmanship on the 27" iMac's are driving new customers away from the Mac.

I don't imagine a refund will be an issue within 1 month, especially if you've had faulty units previously and are unhappy with the current unit.

They deserve it though - maybe this will make them pay more attention to details/testing and QC in the future - and keep them on their toes.

scroto

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
Trenton, MI
After the first two were defective why would you try a third? If it were any other product would you still try a third? You guys on your third and fourth Imacs deserve all the trouble you go through.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
After the first two were defective why would you try a third? If it were any other product would you still try a third? You guys on your third and fourth Imacs deserve all the trouble you go through.

I'd rather deal with a few returns and still run OSX then waste my time on any windows machine. The reason I switched away from Windows doesn't change because of some yellow tint on my screen.

I'll take a few hours of driving to fix a mac over the past 20 years of Windows registry issues, drivers issues, malware, viruses and general pain in the A$$ any day of the week :)

tomacintosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
Why is the answer always to switch back to Windows? As if it's some sort of punishment for the bad iMacs?

If I'm not happy after a few swaps of my 27", I'll ask for a full refund, then get a 24" off eBay to tide me over till the next revision of the 27"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.