3 Docks

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Sasha3, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Sasha3 macrumors member

Is there any way to set up three docks; East, West and South?

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Not without 3rd party software. Why do you want to do this? There are several third party programs that have dock-like things, and you can have multiple ones. I use DragThing in conjunction with the dock, because it has tabs so you can put lots of items in it (applications, documents, folders, network volumes etc), and I can use the dock for open and commonly used applications.

3. Sasha3 thread starter macrumors member

It's a matter of style really. I don't like the idea of clicking on a dock icon then opening up sub menus and all of that. I'd just like to be able to drag the cursor somewhere and click once to get somewhere.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I for one wish OSX had the capability to have multiple docks like that... However to the best of my knowledge (and I have looked) there is no available way to do it.

5. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

On an almost unrelated note, LaunchBar is my most prized application. Give it a try.

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yes you can setup three docks.

there's a neat little app called A-Dock X. just do a searc for it on versiontracker or something.

i guess you could just run two A-Dock apps, but i haven't really played with it that much. there might be an option for more than one dock using a single app.

also, i used DragThing for a while. it is very convenient having dock-like menus drop down, or pop out.

there are a few alternatives, keep on looking, you should come accross something you like.

7. mms macrumors 6502a

You can do it with a third party app, but I personally don't see the point. One dock is enough for me, since you can have many icons in it and easily see them with magnification turned on. Also, unless you're lucky enough to have a 23'' moniter or something, having three docks is a big waste of screen space, especially on smaller moniters that need all the space they can get. Even on larger screens, IMO the more space available the better for multitasking.

8. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

http://www.gideonsoftworks.com/dockit.html

Dock-it will do it for you. You can have as many OS X style docks as you like, and if they are hidden it doesnt interfere with your screen space. It has shelves too where you can drop files. It is not quite as slick as the OS X dock ie when you unhide it it jumps out rather than slides out, but even so it is still useful.

The main advantage for me is that with folders you can open an app in Dock-it from the contextual list, but the icon only appears in the OS X dock cluttering that up, leaving the Dock-it dock easy to navigate.

9. Sasha3 thread starter macrumors member

thanks all

The idea was to have them hidden so as to keep the screen space free also. I will look into Dock-it right away. I am aware that it has to be a third party product but there are so many out there to try and sift through. These responses have been a great help.

10. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Ditto! LaunchBar has totally changed the way I use my machine. The amount of time it saves is amazing. Being fed up with the marginally functional Dock in OS X I started trying to find a way to avoid all the mousing around and digging for things. I resorted to using Desktop aliases and 3rd prty hot key apps but nothing was making me happy. Along comes LaunchBar and saves my life. I can locate files and launch apps in fractions of a second, all without ever touch my mouse. It's the best. I now have nothing on my Desktop and my Dock is hidden away in a far corner of my screen. Haven't touched my trackpad in about a month. I'll never go back. And no, I don't work for LaunchBar. It works for me.:)

11. Sasha3 thread starter macrumors member