3 ds lite questions from a portable gaming virgin

Discussion in 'Games' started by MS bulldog, Jun 16, 2006.

1. MS bulldog macrumors regular

tonight might be my "special" night with a ds lite.:D

does the dsl have headphone jacks?
    should i get screen protectors from shieldzone like i did with my nano?
    does the dsl go online via a wap like any other wireless device or does it need an official nintendo device?

thanks.

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

yes, well headphone JACK
    if you want
    any wifi network afaik

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yes
    Only if you are rough with your gadgets.
    Any Wireless router will do.

Have fun and remember to wipe the DS lite off after this "special" night.:p

Bless

4. MS bulldog thread starter macrumors regular

would a screen protector affect the touch screens responsiveness?
    would extended use of the stylus wear down the screen and therefore affect the responsiveness later down the road?

5. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Personally I wouldn't bother with a screen protector. I play mine just about once a day and wouldn't consider my usage to be always careful, especially if I am being timed such as with Brain Age.

From the Nintendo website:
    "Should I purchase a screen protector(s)?

The use of screen protectors is not required, however if you would like to use one, we recommend using only licensed protectors. Licensed products always carry the Nintendo seal. The use of an unlicensed screen protector can reduce the touch screen's effectiveness and visibility, making the system difficult to operate. In addition, attempting to remove an unlicensed screen protector can be difficult and can permanently damage the screen. (Any damage caused by an unlicensed product will not be covered under warranty if a repair is required.)

If you don't wish to use a screen protector, the proper use of licensed styluses -- such as the two included styluses -- are designed to help prevent damage. The use of any unlicensed styluses including pens, styluses for other devices, or your fingernail, may cause damage and is not recommended.

If you feel your Nintendo DS screens appear dirty, scratched, or smudged, click here for tips on properly cleaning the screen of any Nintendo handheld system.

For tips on locating licensed accessories, click here."

url: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/ds/

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

1) yes, it has headphone jacks.
    2) Probably, though you don't have to.
    3) It goes online via WiFi (802.11b, it'll work with g routers as long as you don't set them to g-only). Airport works fine. MOST wireless access points work. Check Nintendowifi.com; there's a compatability list. There's a couple netgear routers and a few others that are incompatible, and a few others that require special settings. It'll work with open networks and WEP-encrypted networks, but no WPA encryption.

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

DS only supports routers that have a "Power Saving" mode. Nintendo has a list on their website. Any current router works - but I discovered my old D-link router didn't work so I had to buy a linksys.

8. pcortez macrumors member

i have a follow up question:

thinking about getting a ds lite soon.
    if my airport express is password protected, will the ds lite prompt me to enter a password when connecting or do i have to take the security off the network?

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If you're light with it, no...but putting too much pressure can cause scratches, and if you accumulate hundreds of scratches a year or so down the road it can begin to affect responsiveness. Go look at Best Buy demo units, they're usually completely scratched up by little kids playing on their systems.

10. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

the original snow airport works though right?

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Depends on the security.

If it's WPA, yes, you have to take it off. DS doesn't understand WPA.

If it's WEP, you can enter in a password in the DS and have it remember it, no problem.

12. pcortez macrumors member

thanks

13. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I recall having to push a button on my AirPort set up so that it showed me the pass word encoded, otherwise the DS wouldn't accept the pass word.. going off memory has been a while since setting it up.

14. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

15. pcortez macrumors member

i know what you are talking about. its that long password with a crapload of numbers and letters. i don't know exactly where it is in the setup, but i've had to find it a couple different times to allow my other pc's to join the network. completely forgot about that. thanks for bringing it up.

16. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

My Belkin isn't supported according to Nintendo's site.

17. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

neither is my snow airport, apparently.
    anyone got that to work?

18. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I remembered the easiest place to access the WEP password for the DS...

Open the AirPort Setup Assistant found in the Applicatoins/Utilities folder.
    1. Once in the AirPort Setup select that you want to Change the settings of an existing AirPort Base Station then select Continue.

2. Next select your network and then click Continue. You will then need to select your Base Station and then hit Continue.

3. Hit Continue one more time on the next screen but don't change any of the info.

4. On the final page, the one where you can select to Update now gives you an option to Show Passwords, this will show you the pass word need for the DS.

5. Be sure to Quite at this point, don't Update the AirPort unless you made alterations.

Someone please tell me if there is an easier way to do that.

19. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I don't have an Airport Base Station to check for sure (or a DS Lite for that matter), but I think you can get what you need by opening the "Airport Admin Utility" application, then select the "Base Station" menu and choose "Equivalent Network Password..."

correct me if I'm wrong... :eek:

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Do you have a DS and tried to get on? sorry to hear man...i guess you might have to buy a new router to play DS online.

Bless

21. zim macrumors 65816

zim

:eek: how stupid do I feel now. Thanks for pointing that out, my way was a pain and felt very stupid.