iPad 3 Emails always new - red 3 notification won't go away

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mattwolfmatt, Feb 18, 2013.

1. mattwolfmatt, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013

macrumors 6502a

mattwolfmatt

On my iPad 4 (running 6.1), the OS thinks there are 3 new messages in my exchange account. The problem is, the inbox is empty.

I have the same account linked up with OSX Mail and it's fine, and I have the same account linked up with my iPhone and it's fine. They've been like this for about a week.

I've done a hard reset and a soft reset. I also turned the email off and on in the settings. The 3 goes away when it's off, it comes back when it's on.

Any advice?

2. macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Delete the account then re-add it.

3. macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

This only solves the issue temporarily as I have the same problem on my iphone. Shortly but surly the issue will arise again. Gets annoying having to turn off/on the exchange account over and over.

4. macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Sounds like there's some unread emails buried deep in your exchange account then.

5. macrumors newbie

i've had this problem in the past with my exchange mailbox and i think i have it narrowed down to why it happens and how to fix it.

1) this seems to only show up as new message in my phone (but not on my local outlook client) when I do a specific search for emails in my phone, and the search pulls up results from SORTED mail in other folders. If those happen to be unread then that will show up as a new message icon on the mail app.

2) it's near impossible to locate the email but a few times, I used SIRI to display all my unread messages and sure enough it confirmed messages that were filtered out into my other folders outside the inbox. I was able to locate the time/date of the emails and manually looked them up and cleared them out that way.

3) if all of that isn't working or confirmed, then removing the mail account and re-adding normally does the trick.

6. macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

No, there isn't. There is a sync issue. After I remove/add the exchange account it reflects the correct number. But eventually, it will mis-sync an email I have read on my desktop and will show that it is read on my iPhone (no blue dot) yet will still have the red number 1 on the app, and when open it will say there is an unread message. Even trying to force it to mark all messages as read doesnt fix it. Its a sync issue.

7. macrumors newbie

I'm having this exact issue as well.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

mattwolfmatt

Thanks all. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. However, after deleting the account and reinstalling it, all issues have gone away. The ghost new emails are no longer there. Good luck to the rest of you!

9. macrumors G3

charlituna

It's an exchange server issue. Kind of thing not uncommon when dealing with two very different computer situations.

I believe this is one of the issues covered in this weeks 6.1.2.

10. macrumors newbie

Guys, I just wanted to share how I fixed this. It was counting unread emails in my deleted items folder. Either clean that out or mark them as read....that is how it fixed this problem for me.