3 Frags Left.....

Discussion in 'Games' started by NusuniAdmin, Oct 2, 2004.

1. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    Isn't quake 3 arena a cool game. I mean for its day the graphics and such are pretty decent and still are pretty good.

Who else here feels this way?
  2. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2004
    Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    Well its ok, but I only played it once... It seems well made.
  3. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Apr 20, 2003
    For 20 bucks it is one of the best games for mods ever.
  4. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    it's pretty fun but the best thing is it actually runs well on my computer unlike most FPSs. btw ive seen it for 10 most places...
  5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I still like it and it's a great showcase for what a Macintosh application should be, as it leverages anything and everything worthwhile--dual processors, AltiVec, etc.
  6. whocares macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    QIII fan here too. Best gameplay I've seen on my comp.
    Don't you just love id games? :D
  7. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Yes. Now where's Doom 3?

(someone had to say it) :eek:
  8. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Who cares about Doom 3 when there's already development of Quake 4! (There's a screenshot floating around somewhere.)

QIV will be running on the Doom 3 engine. The current screenshot looks like a low-res Doom 3 screenshot. I think the picture I saw had the characters as Marines from Doom 3, and the polygon quality wasn't quite there, yet.

But, Quake 3 is definitely a solid game by itself. It's a shooter down to its essence. Plus, it is highly expandable with mods and was the engine of choice for developers for quite a while.
  9. bnemesis macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2003
    Two thumbs up here for Quake 3!
    Picked mine up a few months ago for $9.99 (jewelcase)
    and have put it on my mac and my linux box.

Runs silky smooth on both, and is loads of fun. I used to have the Bid For Power mod, but have been playing plain vanilla Q3 for a awhile since I could never find a populated server for BFP.

Best $10 Ive spent in awhile.

...well, next to the $1 copy of Myth III for Mac that I bought :D
  10. ijimk macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2004
    I still play it. its really kool because i can play it at 1680 by 1050 and it was released like 4 or 5 years ago. That is just good coding for a game. ID and Blizzard are best game devolpers. nuff said. :cool:
  11. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    True Combat is simply the best damn mod ever.
  12. Zenith macrumors 6502

May 18, 2001
    I'm still a hardcore Q3 player. All I play is Instaunlagged though. A small mod which makes the server compensate for lag/ping, so you can aim directly on target. And since the only gun in Insta is the railgun the unlagged technology really makes a difference. Instaunlagged has IMO the best gameplay I've ever seen, and is really fast paced when playing against good opponents. With railjump the gameplay gets even better. :D
  13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i love the QUake series and the Doom series as well, hell throw in Wolfenstien too, i love id software, they make the best games period.
  14. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
    HERE, HERE! :D
  15. vraxtus macrumors 65816

Aug 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Marathon > Doom
    UT2K > Quake

But both were still good games :D
  16. Wulfi macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    i love Quake 3 Arena! been playing it for 5 years now. i started out playing UT99 and moved to Q3A. imo, it's the best DM game out there. we play a mod called InstaMush. you spawn with the rail, RL, grenades and shotty, and all the ammo you'll need with 199 health. there's no health or armor to be picked up in the maps only grenade slugs (you only spawn with 5 grenades because they are so powerful). it's all about the frags and not item control. in other words it's a blast.
  17. socamx macrumors 6502

Oct 7, 2004
    Unreal Tournament, released back in 1999, is better than Quake any day of the week. So much more fun to play, only thing I'll give Quake is slightly better graphics and runs better on the mac, but game play is very lacking, and the weapons aren't very unique.

Doom 3 in my opinion is highly overrated and not worth wasting time with. Played it, hated it. I'll stick with my pixelated Doom.
  18. Wulfi macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    here's why i prefer Q3A. and mind you i'm of the opinion that UT and Q3 are BOTH good games. i think UT's physics are lacking. the game moves too slow, and i never cared for the double tapping thing. Q3, once you get the special moves down, is more fun to operate. you can get amazing running speed going in Q3 that you just can't do in UT. i think the weapon selection in Q3 is perfect. sure the MG isn't like the minigun, but in Q3 it has its place as a warding off wep or a finishing off wep. UT weps are way spammy, how many rockets can you load up on??? 6? and the shock rifle is ridiculous. the ultimate spam wepon. UT was surely designed for the masses, you can configure it easier than Q3, and that's cool, but once you get used to fiddling with .cfgs', Q3A is very flexible. just my 2¢. peace! :D
  19. socamx macrumors 6502

Oct 7, 2004
    UT is a spammy game if the people you play against aren't good, so they will get the rocket, load up 6, shoot em off somewhere, and so on. If you play the so called "pros" of UT, the game experience is extremely different. You'll have to give more thought before "spamming" shock balls everywhere.

Quake feels really slow to me compared to UT, expecially because it has no dodging like UT. That doublt tap dodge lets you move 2x faster, do more elaborate jumps (sliding across walls = fun), etc.

I guess how much you enjoy a game like UT or Quake depends on how well you play and who you play, and from what I experienced in Quake 3, it was a very lacking game. Just my opinion, I was very bored playing Quake.