3 Little Questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jigen, Jul 12, 2006.

1. jigen macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2005
    I'm not exactly a new user, I just feel like one. I recently bought a G5 Quad 2.5 Ghz to sit aside my G5 Dual 2.0 Ghz...

1) The G5 Quad flashes a red light when I start it up (the Dual does not) - is this normal? Red being a warning color makes me think something's up (and leads us nicely onto question 2).

2) Occasionally when I'm using the G5 Quad a box appears asking me if I'd like to shut down and gives me the options: shut down, restart, or cancel. I haven't scheduled startup or shut down so it's not that. I haven't brushed one of the buttons. It's not the same box that appears when I tell it to shut down or restart. It's some subversive box that's become a bit of a nuisance. How do I deactivate this?

3) I've installed my Final Cut V4 with Soundtrack on the G5 Quad. Both work fine on the G5 Dual but when I try to open them on the Quad I get a message telling me I require certain hardware or software: Power Mac G4 500 Mhz or dual G4 450 Mhz or faster. FCP adds AGP graphics card to the requirements. It seems to me the G5 Dual, with 2.5 Ghz surpasses the requirements, but what do I know? A computer is telling me it needs more, so obviously I'm wrong. Any suggestions?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    1) I know there is a red status light of some sort behind the power button, as it will go on on my very early Dual G5 if I have the cover open. Whether it's supposed to come on briefly when you turn the computer on on a new G5, I'm not sure--haven't used one--but it does sound a bit suspicious. A quick call to AppleCare would get your question answered, I'd think.

2) I've never heard of a suprious restart box. Question: Is your power button set to sleep the computer, or shut it down? If the latter, perhaps there's something wrong with the button, and it's activating randomly? If it's set to sleep the computer, that's obviously not it and I have no suggetions other than trying a complete OS reinstall from the discs that came with it, then updating to 10.4.7 using the combo updater, just to be extra careful.

3) This is a known issue because FCP sees the PCIe bus and thinks "Not AGP" instead of "better than AGP", so it gives that error. There is a relatively simple workaround involving the editing of a preference file, which I know I've seen posted here and elsewhere on the web, as well as Apple's forums and probably in the Kbase as well. I'm sure a quick Google search or search here will lead you to a how-to.