3 monitors on a G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by benhg, Feb 18, 2008.

1. benhg
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Hello

I have a G5 with an Nvidia 7800GT graphics card. what are my options if i need to have 3 monitors running at the same time (currently i can only have 2).

Thank you

Ben

2. robbieduncan
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) Add a second video card. This will have to be a Mac card compatible with your particular machine

2) Accept the compromises and go with one of the Matrox Dual or TripleHead2Go products

3. benhg
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a Dual 2.3Ghz PowerPC G5
    2Gig Ram
    Nvidia 7800GT

what other graphics card will i need to get? will putting in an additional Nvidia 7800GT do the job, or will i need to purchase 2 new graphic cards?

Thanks

Ben

4. choreo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

choreo

I have run 3 monitors for the past 12 years on all my Macs. I just retired a Dual 2.0-Gig G5 that had 3 monitors connected for the past 4 years. I now have a new Mac Pro running 3 Sony 23" CRTs.

What I always do is hook my Main monitor to the card in the fastest (lowest) slot and then buy a second PCI card, put it in slot 2 and hook up the other two monitors to it. That gives me full speed to the main monitor that may be used for video often. I had an ATI 1900 in my latest G5 as a second card, but you will just need to see what is compatible with your particular machine.

5. Tallest Skil
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

THREE 23" CRTs?! Is your desk made of I-beams?!

6. Father Jack
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Quite a few years ago I had a 21" CRT and it was a brute !! I can't imagine 3 23" CRT's .... :eek:

7. smogsy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

if i was you ive just get a good 24ich LCD might have lower resolution but you will love the extra space heck if you got space for 3 23ich crts you could fit 6 LCDS :p

8. choreo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

choreo

Close... it is specially reinforced as they weigh about 100-lbs each and that does not count the video monitors an light box!