Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Tiger's been out for 3 months and there are over 750 widgets out there; some admittedly more useful than others.

I'm concerned I've become a widget junkie (I have widget downloads as an RSS feed! :eek: ) when I discover than I have 6 screens of widgets - 56 in all - installed. Yikes... There are usually 7 up constantly and about another 10 that I use regularly but scrolling through I seem to have several widgets that I haven't used - ones that I thought might be useful but haven't needed quite yet but don't want to delete in case I need them later

So how many widgets do you have installed and how many do you use?

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Since Tigers release I've installed a few but all have ended up in the trash. I only ever use the weather, world clock, calculator, and conversion widgets so that's all I have on my machines. I've found myself using Spotlight more than any other new feature.

Tiger, it's GREAT!

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
I'm currently using 7 downloaded widgets and 9 stock Apple widgets (4 are stickies, one is the WIdget Manager).

My 7 downloaded widgets are as follows:

(1) Folding Tracker
(2) Pearlyrics
(3) SysStat
(4) TV Tracker
(5) Pac-Man
(6) Snake
(7) Asteroids

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Uptime, Battery, Folding Tracker. That is it. Anything else is nothing more than a useless RAM hog...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I have zero installed because I don't have Tiger. ;) I can't say I have widget-envy either, just not my thing I guess. Maybe once I eventually start using them I'll grow to like them, but for now, it's just not a big thing to me, and one of the (non) reasons I'm in no rush to upgrade to Tiger.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I have 25 installed but only have 13 of these actually on screen – three World Clocks, two Weather Widgets, BBC News RSS Widget, MacRumors RSS Widget (of course!), the Sky Sports Football News Widget, the Oblique Strategies Widget, the stock Apple Calculator, Translator, Converter and Dictionary Widgets, the Yell.com and Wikipedia Widgets, and the Joy of Tech Widget. That's a total of 16 on screen in all.

It's a good thing I've got a 23" display. :p

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Speaking of widgets and dashboard, am I the only person that thinks programs should auto-hide when accessing the dashboard? The background programs are distracting!

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Capt Underpants said:
Speaking of widgets and dashboard, am I the only person that thinks programs should auto-hide when accessing the dashboard? The background programs are distracting!

The fact they don't is what I actually like about Dashboard, if they did hide what's the point of even running it? If that was to happen virtual desktops would be a much better idea and no widgets at all. IMO of course.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
risc said:
The fact they don't is what I actually like about Dashboard, if they did hide what's the point of even running it? If that was to happen virtual desktops would be a much better idea and no widgets at all. IMO of course.

If they auto-hide, then un-hide (mind you, it would have to be fast), then I don't see any reason not to. It's not like you can use the programs in dashboard's background. The programs in the background just seem distracting to me. I guess you don't have the same problem :(

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I have 15 available (including the Widgets Widget :)) and quite a few unchecked.

These are active:
- Dictionary
- Ordbok (Norwegian dictionary)
- Unit Converter
- Calculator
- This Day in History
- World Clock x 2
- SunlitEarth
- Whoisdget
- Weather
- iCal Events

I might ditch a couple of them soon. I think I need the RAM more than one or two of those... ;)

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Capt Underpants said:

They can be distracting but sometimes they're very useful if you're referring to something in the background while you're using a Widget. It would be good if you could hit F11 and then F12 to get them up on a blank background.

I'm definitely feeling over-widgeted here now. Only the stock ones :eek: - I barely use those aside from the weather...

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I've downloaded a bunch, but the only ones still active at the moment (besides some Apple stock ones) are Wikipedia, SysStat, PackageTracker, and Folding Tracker. I have 5 pages worth of Widgets, and need to weed out the ones that were just curiosities.
I am starting to use Spotlight more and more. Really useful tool.

St Soichiro

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
Tulsa, OK
Have grown to love widgets. Typically have about 10 active at anytime. The non-Apple ones I regularly use are:

Beeblefish
The Periodic Table
iComic (perhaps my favorites)
Google Maps
Wikipedia
Package Tracker
KeychainHelper
Daily Word

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I have 20 downloaded widgets and the rest are standard apple ones.

I use 6 or 7 every now and again. It still feels weird. I like just using Safari for any info i need.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
two weather widgets
translator widget
movie times
world clock
calculator
weather.com live radar
widget manager
adressbook widget

tv tracker and google maps don't work anymore since 10.4.2 although i have the newest versions :(

realmcenter

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2005
Denver, CO
I don't use Dashboard widgets at all. I like my desktop as simple and uncluttered as possible and while widgets might be nifty to some, to me they are not. Maybe some time I'll change my mind and try some out but for now they are staying off.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I ask myself.. why is Dashboard running and wasing CPU cycles? The last time I opened it? When I installed all the widget-crap I have now. June 8th?

Dynamyk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2005
Toronto
Ok some people may bash me with a wooden plank. But can someone explain what Widgets are, as well as Spotlight. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.