3 MP Camera Phone. What the hell!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by raynegus, Jul 12, 2004.

1. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    well hell, anyone can make that. instead of fitting the camera in the phone lets just fit the phone in the camera.

2. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    good ide, but as i have said before, i would rather have 5 different electrical items that do its individual job really well instead of on item that does 5 jobs average!
  3. raynegus thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2003
    iJon, you are wise beyond your years my friend.
  4. belair macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2004
    Thats's the thing

Now we know the camera is 3 million pixels, great!
    Why do I still get bad connections with my cell.

"Wait a second I will move into another room…I can't hear you are you in your car?… Bad reception call you later…"

Does this sound familiar? Come on make those phones work and then we talk about cameras.

I am aware that bad reception is most often due to bad satellite coverage but still… I hate it when a cell does not do what its supposed to do, just be a phone!
  5. Golem macrumors 6502

Jun 2, 2003
    Does it really matter if it has 3 meg pixels if the lense is a el cheapo.....

I know when you get larger ie >4 mega pixel the lense quality and the size of the reciever/thingamabob matter more than how many pixels except for marketing.
  6. iMook macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2003
    Actually, I was looking at a different of the SCH-2300 (the 3.2MP camphone) and the optical zoom lens looks identical to the one in my Pentax Optio S4. If this is true, then the lens is certainly not the limiting factor for picture clarity. It's a barrel lens, with a tri-segment barrel. This is most probably a product of put-the-phone-into-the-camera thinking, instead of the put-a-tiny-webcam-into-a-phone mentality we've seen before.

The phone is as high as a Sony Cybershot is wide, so it could very posibly have true Optio optics in it (The Optio S series literally disappears behind a credit card, I kid you not).
  7. FritzTheWonderM macrumors member

Dec 12, 2003
    Planet 10
  8. dvdh macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2004
    I wonder how long it takes to send an image over the cell networks and how much it will cost you. . . . really, are camera phones to make your life better or to help the cell providers make more money?

Proud owner of a cell phone WITHOUT a camera.

Edit: BTW: that is definitely the lens from S4, it even still says Pentax on it. If thats the case, why only 3 MP.
  9. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Mar 19, 2004
    A series of tubes
    It used to be that you buy a cell phone with text messaging and other crap as options. Now you buy a personal-videogame-internet-email-voice recording-camera-mp3 player with optional telephone capabilities. The new cell phone "culture" is starting to piss me off.
  10. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
    How much of an idiot would you look walking along the street talking into the back of a camera! :rolleyes: people would think you were insane.

I am also part of the let each item do one thing well group, I had one of the early smartphones and it was a nightmare, I soon learnt you don't want to have an expensive memory card in a phone, if you are prone to losing or breaking them, which I think everyone is, your insurance won't cover it if you lose it. Now I'm back on a nice simple phone, although (I didn't realise it when I bought it) it has a vga camera which takes too big pictures to send to my girl friends phone unless I put the resolution down from vga to the normal size :rolleyes:
  11. FritzTheWonderM macrumors member

Dec 12, 2003
    Planet 10
    Hmm, maybe those homeless guys downtown aren't just crazy and talking to themselves, they're just on the phone... :D