3 PowerPC Macs Left? (In Apples Line Up)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by menziep, May 21, 2006.

1. menziep macrumors 6502a

I was looking at apple website a saw that the Only remaining macs left to be upgraded or discontuned are the : PowerMac G5, Xserve G5 and the eMac G4

When is apple going to discontune the eMac.

I Know the Powermac and xServe wont be upgraded till intel bring out there woodchest proccesers.

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

i doubt the eMac will be discontinued until LCDs are as cheap as CRTs - the eMacs are great for education, and quite secure (nobody's going to chuck one in their bag - have you tried to lift one?), so methinks they'll make it through the intel transition alive.

the PowerMac and xServe will transition at roughly the same time, just after woodcrest arrives.

3. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

4. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Not for the education market.

They're still available in bulk orders for education.

5. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

But the education market are not so (very little) concern for high performance....if they are they should buy PowerMac's (Mac Pro's) or iMac's ;)

6. menziep thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wasnt the eMac a good deal for first timers
    a lot of people on MR Have or used to have a eMac

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think the eMac should make it to intel, however there is not much room for it. Perhaps a Core Duo 1.66Ghz Dedicated 64Mbs at 1099, 15'' LCD, iLamp like lok

8. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

If they did that it would cut into Mac Mini sales, even if it's education only. You can still lie and get it. :eek: Price is way to high, $1099 can get almost get you an iMac in the education section. ;)

9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Problem with transitioning a machine like an eMac for schools is that many schools like to use classic to run their ancient apps because they haven't been brought to OSX, so if it gets transitioned to intel, they can't run classic and are kinda screwed.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well Apple's not going to keep the eMac PPC for people to cheap to upgrade the Apps from a OS that died 5 years ago. People who will not upgrade there Software will not stop Apple from upgrading there whole line to x86

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

OK try 999, it might cut into the Mac Mini sales but Apple would be making more $$ from the eMac so its ok.. and you can't lie to be a person buying Macs for a School

12. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

May I ask where you got $1099?

eMacs are $799.

I understand why they dropped it from the normal store, but eMacs are important for the education market. Mac minis would be way too easily stolen and eMacs are a lot easier to upgrade.

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i was suggesting that for the new eMac price