3 TB Fusion or faster processor and graphics?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 2741Bodensee, Dec 1, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I ordered the base 27 with a 3tb Fusion drive now after reading on this forum I'm wondering if I should change my order to a 1tb Fusion drive and go with a faster processor and graphics? Does anyone have any advice? This is my first iMac so I want to get it right. Thanks!

2. macrumors 68030

Definately go for the small internal drive and the better processor and graphics. You can always buy external storage if your needs expand. Plus you should have a backup scheme regardless :)

3. atteligibility, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

macrumors regular

Definitely go for the larger drive

___

More seriously, nobody can answer without more info.
    - If you are a gamer, go for faster processor and graphics
    - If you do video editing, it depends, but probably processor and graphics
    - Otherwise, processor and graphics won't bring you a significant difference
    - There's one aspect of a larger hard drive nobody talks about. It's not just a question of space you need. If you're using 800Mb on a 1TB hard drive, your system will be slightly slower than using 800Mb on a 3TB system. Since the hard drive is probably the bottleneck of this kind of system, you want to improve its performance as much as you can, i.e. SSD>Fusion>Larger Hard drive>smaller hard drive

4. macrumors regular

CaptMike

In order to get the faster processor and graphics, you would need to step up to the high end 27