3 - The One Plan (UK) and iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OliverOSX93, Nov 11, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

I'm moving in to a flat soon ( yay me :D ) and don't want to be tied down to a landline and broadband contract. (Incase something bad happens and I can't keep the flat)

I'm thinking of getting a 3GS to replace my dummy phone (My ipad 2 is for my power apps anyway) and use a sim card from 3 with the one plan. For those who don't know the one plan allows unlimited 3g data with thethering. ( Feeling jelous yanks? ;) )

My question to those who know. Does the one plan allow tethering through USB or will I need to jailbreak for wifi hotspot functionality? And how are 3G speeds from three?

Thanks!

2. macrumors 68000

I would strongly recommend you get pay and go first and try it out. I had a plan similar to yours and got the MIWI from three but insisted they give me three days to try it out. I had absolutely horrible performance on the 3G in three different areas around London, and took it back after two days.

The best 3G performance I ever got was 300K yes that is Kbps. I eventually got landline service from O2. The other thing I would warn you to be careful about is 0845 numbers. Everyone seem to be using them now my bank my doctors's I wish the public would start doing something about this.

On any cell plan you are going to pay for these calls at stupid rates. The reason I wanted the miwi was ability to connect multiple devices on wifi.

Edit: I recently signed up for a T-Mobile unlimited everything reduced from 31 to 21 and using tethering successfully with great 3G performance.

3. macrumors 65816

I've recently switched to three and have been impressed withe the 3G speeds (I usually get HSDPA or HSDPA+). Haven't roved far and wide enough to say much about coverage - general consensus seems to be that coverage isn't quite as good as other networks, but provided you do get coverage you're more likely to get a decent data connection.

Why don't you suck it and see? Get a 1-month "rolling contract" SIM (I'm paying £13/month for unlimited data and a minimal amount of voice minutes, with the option to add tethering for £5/month) to see what the coverage/speed is like where you are, then upgrade to the One Plan and/or a longer contract if you like what you get?

4. macrumors 68000

ditzy

My sister tethers through her phone cord on that plan. I don't think it should e an issue.

5. macrumors regular

I've got a 4 on 3 :))) and it'll tether over USB, or wifi, or Bluetooth, so you should be fine. Check coverage in your area, I haven't had any problems though, and its been better than when I was on O2 on a 3GS (I tend to flit around Oxford, London and Wales, for what that's worth)

6. thread starter macrumors regular

I asked my grandad (he had a 3G dongle from 3) and he said it got quite fast speeds. I'll test coverage with a cheap payg rolling contract first though. I'm only taking it between my college and flat. (Both in accrington)