3 Uk Apn?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zcott, Jun 6, 2010.

1. macrumors 68020

I just signed up to 3 and registered my SIM, but when I go into the APN settings, it's blank. Anyone on 3 tell me what the iPad APN is?

2. macrumors 6502a

Try:
    3internet or three.co.uk

Before you commit to 12 months, bear in mind that 3 do a pay as you go sim , with 12GB preloaded, valid for 12 months, hence you have 1 year to use the 12gb. All for £35 on ebay, you just need to cut down the sim.

Also check if you got the 3G symbol next to the 3 carrier name. (Turn off wifi if that shows).

3. macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Got a Three microSIM in my iPad, and it's working fine with all those fields left blank.

4. macrumors 6502a

Wow, that's a great deal. That must be just about the best value out there for most people.

5. macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I was told by their tech support to use 3internet as the APN.

However I've now removed this and the connection still works fine.

6. thread starter macrumors 68020

3internet works fine; just had to do a power cycle and all is well :)

7. macrumors newbie

Hi

I bough a ipad on release on O2-UK pay as u go. but now want to move to 3, I got their micro-sim and registered it. I switch of my ipad, insert micro sim and connect to itunes which auto powers it up. I assumed it may install a network update through itunes but it seems three do not have this setup with apple.

I have no APN settings, i tried using 3 internet with a reboot but still my internet does not work on 3.

Any other ideas?

8. macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I don't think it's registered on the three network, do you get a '3G' symbol next to the signal strength ?

9. macrumors newbie

it just shows full signal and says 3. however if i go to manual roam it shows

3 (3G)

if i lock it to use 3G only it still does not say 3G but has a tick next to 3G on the network choice screen.

I have a USB dongle on 3 which shows full 3G signal.

10. macrumors newbie

see attached screen shots.

Attached Files:

11. macrumors member

APN = three.co.uk

Username and passwor leave blank.

That works fine on mine. The 3G did not show up until I changed the APN (which was blank after changing the o2 card to a 3 one)

12. macrumors 6502a

I'd leave the network selection to automatic, just for ease, looks like something has gone wrong at their end, as you should be getting a 3G symbol next to the '3' carrier name.

To be honest, I'd recommend you getting a 3 12GB bundle sim card of ebay. 12GB to be used how you like within 12 months, £35, which is cheaper than any plan, for the same period or data.

Can always sabotage the three dongle you have. Or if you need that one, you can get a new dongle with preloaded 12GB sim for £80.

13. macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

When did you register it? It can take up to 24 hours to activate (Three say up to 3 hours is typical). When it does "3G" appears alongside the bars in the signal strength display.

You shouldn't have to change any settings at all. I didn't. I was activated in under half an hour.

If it's been longer than 24 hours, call Three.

14. macrumors newbie

15. macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

To be clear, I should have added "...when not connected to wifi".

16. macrumors 6502

I got a 3GB/3Month Three sim from ebay, cut it down to size and it worked a treat. Used it all weekend in London with no problem. Did not have to enter anything for the APN and left them blank.

when on the three network I went to three.co.uk/my3 and it automatically logs me in so I can see my usage/balance.

will be getting another one while I can as they are a bargin

17. macrumors 6502

Must point out, APN 3internet seems to make no difference to leaving the APN blank.

18. macrumors newbie

A Reset worked for me..

Hello,
    I had the common "could not activate mobile data network" message but when I tried resetting the iPad3 the icon in the top right hand corner changed to 3G and I could then connect to the internet. I reset the iPad3 by pressing and holding both the "Power" and the "Home" buttons until the apple logo appeared.
    Please note that I have a new iPad - I do not know if resetting the iPad makes you lose data or applications. Hope this helps.

PS I'm on 3 network, APN name is 3internet, APN username and password are blank. WiFi switched to off position.

19. macrumors 6502a

I tried eBay.co.uk and could not find any 12GB SIM for less than £60. Can you provide a link please?

----------

Can you tell me if "Personal Hotspot" is disabled on your prepaid Three SIM card?

I could not see this option form the screen shots above.

And according to Three's web site. They only support tethering if you have a monthly rolling contract with them. Is that correct?

20. macrumors 6502

This thread is 2 years old so its likely that they don't offer the 12GB sim any more.

Also i'm not sure that personal hotspot was available when this thread was made. From what I know on the iPhone only their "One plan" has tethering but no other ones do.
    I'd hope that they let you use prepaid data how you like but I know that most carriers are a bit shady with limiting hotspot use.

21. macrumors 6502a

The poster above me dug the thread up from the grave, I didn't realize that, sorry. 12GB 12 month now is £70. In two years and 100% increase. :eek:

22. macrumors 6502

I guess they realised that people actually wanted SIMs with lots of data on. The best they do now is the £20 SIM with 3GB for 3 months. Its a pre paid SIM that you can top up as well so IMO better than taking out a contract.