3 week old Powerbook with major display problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SeenAndNotSeen, Oct 22, 2005.

1. SeenAndNotSeen macrumors newbie

Sorry. I'm new to MacRumors and I originally posted this thread in the wrong place. Anyway, here's what I wrote:

Hey. I'm a brand new poster here with some pretty bizarre problems with my new powerbook.
    I think I have a pretty unique problem which I havent been able to get any information on. It seems that when I tunr the thing on, little groups of short veritcal lines start appearing on the display. Eventually it gets so bad that I can't even read the thing and I need to restart.
    The weird part is that it seems to start as soon as I turn it on. I can see lines even on the grey apple screen. Lines also form on the external display I use. I can't imagine how this would be a software problem since it happens before the os even starts up.
    However, this doesn't happen all the time, either. I turned it on once after I noticed the problem and the thing looked fine the whole hour or so I was using it. After I put it to sleep and reopened it, the problem was there again.
    This problem doesnt affect any real usage of the computer, however. In fact, I'm typing this post on it right now (it is a little hard to read though).
    I tried rebooting as well as resetting the PRAM, but no luck. I also called Apple who didn't have much information.

This computer is 3 weeks old. I'm going to get a Genius appointment at my Apple Store hopefully on Monday, unless somebody has any information on this. This leads me to my next question: Will Apple replace the thing for free? And since I paid $2500 for this, will they reimburse me the whole amount, or will I just get the new 15" that retails for $2000? (i.e. Do you think it's possible for me to get a RAM upgrade/new iPod/whatever else will bring the total to $2500.

Here's a screenshot of the problem:
    [​IMG]

Thanks.

P.S. Here's the specs:

15" 1.67 GHz Powerbook G4 running Tiger 10.4.2
    512MB RAM
    128MB VRAM
    SuperDrive
    etc. etc.

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i'm fairly sure it's your video card. that's definitely a good idea to take it to the apple store. not sure about reimbursement/a new one/anything like that.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, but if resetting the PRAM did nothing then I think it's due for a replacement. Maybe try resetting the PMU, just for fun.

4. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

If it's replaced, they will replace it with an equivalent. That is, one of the new models that matches the specs as closely as possible, regardless of price.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sorry to hear about the problems with your brand-new PowerBook G4. :(

But, I am glad to hear that you are bringing it in to an Apple Store, they will take good care of you my friend. :)

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Here's hoping you get a new model. :) They will probably try to repair it first.

7. SeenAndNotSeen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everybody. Apple Store it is then. Hope that I get a new model!

8. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

9. SeenAndNotSeen thread starter macrumors newbie

Dag

I just got back from the Apple Store. It turns out I had a faulty logic board. They sent it off to be replaced and I should get it back next week sometime. Until then, though, it looks like I'm going to be using my old Windows 2000 Athlon 64 Machine (ooh...tough break). Anybody think there's any chance they might just send me a new Powerbook? (Please?)

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

IIRC, the standard is 3 repairs and then they give up and send you a new one.

11. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

good luck bro. I really hope they take good care of you at the apple store.

12. SeenAndNotSeen thread starter macrumors newbie

I got the p'book back on thursday, much earlier than expected. It looks as if they replaced the video card and it all seems to be working great. I have a renewed faith in Apple.

13. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

That great news :)

Apple can seem to be a company to be great or sh*t when it comes to support. To get want you want be in their face :D