3 year old suggestions?

Discussion in 'Games' started by DrStrangelove, Mar 26, 2006.

1. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Any good/educational games for 3 year olds?

I recently bought my daughter "Dora the Explorer Animal Adventures" and she "gets" it, but this damn mighty mouse. It seems that I should get her a "simple" mouse to play the game. It seems too bothersome to change the mouse settings everytime I want to let her play.

Hey... if I created her own account and made the mighty mouse act like a single button mouse on her profile would it only be on her username?

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Yep...the settings would stick with that user account.

3. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

how I hate the mighty mouse. thing feels like a cheap cheap unit but now im just highjacking the thread

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Nick.com and Cartoon Network both have simple online games. Good for dexterity, but not sure about education. Of course, PBS Kids, Kids Discovery also have good games. Any information or educational site you can think of will usually have a kids area.

Jump Start has a series of really good games that my kids have always enjoyed.

5. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Excellent. Thanks. She plays the online Sesame Street games.

But my ex-boss told me (and I forget the names) of a couple of games (loadable to harddrive) that when played the kid CANNOT make a mistake and "leave the program" accidentally. I don't know- I gotta ring him up.

6. sigamy macrumors 65816

The absolute best game for kids under 5 is Reader Rabbit Toddler. It includes 5 or 6 activities so your daughter is bound to find a few that she'll enjoy.

The best feature is that the little ones don't have to click the mouse at all. All the games work by just moving the mouse around the screen. If they stop on an object it they picks up that object so they can move it, color, etc. To go back to the main menu they can just leave the mouse on top of the star. Clicking works too, so older kids don't have to wait around. Really well designed.

The version I have needs Classic but it runs perfectly under classic on a CRT iMac.

Another great one is "How Many Bugs in a Box". Just google it.

We also have Mr Potato Head, a few Blues Clues games, and some living books that my kids enjoyed onces they got a bit older.

My son is now 5 and his favorite app is Text Edit..."Dad how do you spell Spider-Man...."

7. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Did you say Spider-Man?

[​IMG]

I'm so happy that she's into him and not Barney. ;)

8. cubist macrumors 68020

Why can't you just plug in a 1-button mouse and leave it connected? One of the old "bar of soap" mice should be just fine.

9. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

That IS my plan. My suggestion for the "account" thing with disabled mighty-features was, you know, for immediate use.

In MacWorld I saw a good review for the old, one button apple mice saying that you can buy them AT apple, but I couldn't find them anywhere on the site.

Any ideas?

10. mpw Guest

I got my daughter a cheap usb notebook mouse when she was about 2½ and the smaller size is perfect for her little hand. Being a 'proper' two button mouse she can use it just fine (including the scroll wheel) and I think that's good practice for the future.

I've not got her any specific games yet but she loves Text Edit, AppleWorks(for painting and drawing) and she can open Safari and hit her bookmark to the BBC's cbeebies website which is full of great games and activities.

I've given her a user account so her mouse settings don't bother me and I run 'Alpha Baby' as a screen saver on my account so she (and more importantly her little sister and brother) dosen't screw anything up.

My daughter (3½) showed me how to print from our iBook when we first got the WiFi network at home.:eek:

11. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

For our 3.5 year old, we also got her a two button notebook mouse which fits her hand great. She really likes the Dora the Explorer games. We found a box set at Amazon which had three games for $14.99. But watch out, only two were Mac compatible.

12. Aarow macrumors 6502a

JumpStart (Insert grade here) were always my favorite games.

13. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

That's a great pic! So cute!

However, she'll be into purses and shoes before you know it.

14. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Yeah, she is already. Spider-Man is her only male-gender hero (but she's asking Batman and SuperMan questions ;)).

She cycles between dressing as Stephanie (from LazyTown), Dora the Explorer, Dorothy (WizOfOz), Cinderella and Snow White. She's got more costume changes that a full out broadway musical.

15. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Alpha Baby looks cool-- I'm going to have to try that out later.