3 year Warranty on Edu MBP gone???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 21stcenturykid, Sep 14, 2006.

1. 21stcenturykid macrumors 6502

Is it just me or did the Education discounted MBP's have 3 year part warranty as standard a while ago?? it seems to not be the case anymore i dont want to hand out another £250 for applecare when it was on it before! can anyone verify this for me? i need to order later on today so i get it in time for uni

cheers

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

The american or the UK store?

It has never been the case.... :confused:

3. 21stcenturykid thread starter macrumors 6502

UK store and it has been the case ive definately seen it and its been mentioned in the odd thread here and there but it appears to have gone :( not happy at all!!

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The educational store only includes the standard warranty I believe although if you purchase through the higher education store you get 3 years basic warranty (not Applecare or phone support, just extended warranty) for free. Its also really cheap to upgrade to Applecare (£50 in the case of a Mac Pro, which also covers a display if you purchase it at the same time, which is well worth it imo).

5. 21stcenturykid thread starter macrumors 6502

cheers m8! you have to be on your uni's network to get higher Edu discount don't you though? that'd mean me waiting till the 26th to order it which defeats the point of me getting it now but id be saving £250 of applecare if i waited but then merom might be out and i could be waiting to long for shipping and probably wont have my MBP by the 2nd week when lectures start properly! ARGH what to do....:confused:

applecare is a big benefit yes?

EDIT: can you get discount over the phone? or can you only get Higher Education and Education discount on the website??

6. deepy macrumors regular

you do. your uni must have a http proxy for you to use though :)

7. 21stcenturykid thread starter macrumors 6502

But thats just to verify you are infact a student or teacher there is it not? Im guessing you can ring using the Higher Education number and verify you are a higher education student using your UCAS number or NUS card or something like that? can you do that?

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes, just ask for the higher education store.

9. 21stcenturykid thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome!!!:D cheers guys

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I believe what he's saying is that if you're a teacher and you're purchasing for a school, then it comes with a 3 year basic warranty.

If you are a university student, then you only get the 1 year warranty like everyone else.

And if you really want to know, you're upset about nothing. Like Generik said, we have never had a standard 3 year warranty.

And if you want to use an educational discount, you need to provide a student number, but they'll likely never check it. Checking by Apple is done randomly.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not in the UK, us UK students get a better deal.

12. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I checked this when I specced out my Mac Pro. The Mac Pros come with 3 years warranty for HE students. This is basically the same as the standard 1 year warranty (i.e. without long term phone support) but extended to 3 years. Unlike Applecare, it does not cover a display if you purchase a display at the same time as the Mac Pro. Apple Displays only come with 1 year warranty even in the HE store. This is why I ponied up the £50 to get the full 3 years worth of Applecare on the system, which brings up the warranty on my ACD to 3 years to match up with the Mac Pro and also includes phone support for the full 3 years.

Also you don't have to use the online Apple HE Store to order, simply call 0800 039 1010, press 3 then 3 again and tell them that you are eligible to the Higher Education discount. I don't think they even asked me which University I went to, let alone my student ID or NUS number. They were very helpful with my order as well, so far things seem to be going well (although I'm knocking a piece of wood three times as I write this).

13. 21stcenturykid thread starter macrumors 6502

That good too know bout the applecare of mac pro.

I reckon the reason they dont ask for ID or anything is because they expect us Higher Education students to be honest:rolleyes: even if they did i could provide them with what they needed anyway so no sweat MBP here i come :p

14. mrploddy macrumors member

UK Higher Education students DO get discount

Either

a) Flashing ID in an Apple Store
    b) Using your universities network (or remote access) to access the online Higher Education store

UK HE Students *DO* get 3 years basic warranty but you can upgrade to full Applecare for £50.

How do I know ? - I recently bought a Macbook + Applecare for £825 when the full retail without care is £899 :D

-mrploddy

15. scalest macrumors member

So what extra do you get with Applecare that you don't get with the HE 3 year warranty?

My girlfriend bought a MacBook At the Regent Street store last week with HE discount and we bought Applecare for £58 as it seemed like a killer deal. It was only later I read that any HE purchase gets 3 years coverage anyway. She has not registered or opened the Applecare box so we are thinking of returning it to the store for a refund (if possible) or eBaying it if it doesn't add anything significant to the HE 3 year warranty.

16. generik macrumors 601

generik

Probably Worldwide warranty.

17. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

The Only thing you get is technical support is extended from 1 year to 3 years. Hardware Warranty is 3 years regardless.

18. scalest macrumors member

When I put her MacBook serial number in the Apple support website it says she has 355 days remaining of warranty which worries me a bit, do you have to do anything to activate the HE 3 year warranty do you think?

19. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

Out of intrest, how much did your Mac Pro cost in the HE store?

I wanna get a MBP, display and FCS 2 for uni, and I was wondering how much discount I would get.

All I got from those 'store chat' people is that it would be cheaper than the standard education discount.

20. jmack549 macrumors 6502

21. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA