3 yr Protection Plan?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by greensuperman32, Mar 27, 2005.

1. greensuperman32 macrumors newbie

Is it worth it to purchase the 3 year protection plan for a powerbook??? It's pretty expensive. Also do u have 2 buy the extended protection time u buy the powerbook or can u buy it at anytime during the 1 yr warranty that comes standard?
    Thanx in advance

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

You can purchase Applecare anytime before the 1st year is up. So, you have 1 year to buy it after you've purchased the PB.

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You can buy it any time during the one year standard period. You do get a discount from Apple when you buy with the computer. Buying from www.lacomputercompany.com, anytime during the one year period, is even cheaper.

Whether it's worth it is a personal decision. If you ever need it, it's worth it. If it gives you peace of mind, or you like having phone support, it's worth it. Otherwise it's a waste. It's all about how comfortable you are with risk.

4. bmat macrumors 6502

Has anyone bought from LA computer company? I see they're an authorized retailer, but the applecare prices are pretty low....

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

bmat,

Also, if anyone in your house qualifies for education discount from Apple, the Applecare for Pbook is only $250.

I prefer to upgrade my computer, before the original 1 year warranty is over. Sell my current notebook and buy a new one. The $250-$350 I'd have to spend on Applecare, if I held onto it, helps make up the loss.

However, if I was going to keep a notebook more than a year I would certainly get extra coverage before that year was over. Notebooks are very costly to repair, and it isn't simple like a desktop, when the user can often just replace what goes bad. Also, if you use a high-end Visa, Mastercard, or American Express, you might have an extra 1 year of warranty through the card. Check your credit card details. My Mastercard and Visa give me 1 extra year of warranty on just about anything I buy, using the card.

6. bmat macrumors 6502

Powerbook911,
    Thanks, no one does here. We're far too old to go back and get any more schooling, and far too young to have any kids who might be getting some schooling. That's why the lawcomputercompany.com prices intrigued me; they were at educational discount levels, even though they weren't listed as educational discounts.

(I'm all for Applecare - just waiting for the right time to buy it.)

7. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Buy Applecare on ebay for a huge discount. I purchased mine for my Powermac for $99 bucks and it worked flawlessly in terms of registration. Just check out who you are buying from.

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

heh never thought of that.