30-40" monitor/TV advice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NYCAVS, Jan 15, 2007.

1. NYCAVS macrumors member

Jan 15, 2007
    First, I am proud to report that I am coming back from the dark side. After about 18 years of continuous apple/mac use, I felt forced to switch to the XP/PC world to allow essential access for my work VPN. After a couple years, I am glad to plan my return to apple now that the intel chips and boot/software solutions are there (which I presume should allow me the access I need).

Along those lines, I am interested in purchasing a 30-40" (ideally closer to 30" as 40" seems too big) monitor/TV which I plan to connect to a mac pro (not yet purchased, deciding between current models and next update). It will be placed in a home office (wall mounted) and should also be able to serve as a TV. Most of the use will be 24-30" away but may also use from couch 8' away.

1920 x 1080 or better
    Good response time to allow for TV, sports, games (? <=8 ms)
    Contrast ratio comparable to great LCD TVs
    HDMI input (1.3 compatibility a bonus!)
    120 Hz also a bonus!

Not essential: Speaker

Price: Willing to spend around $2 to 2.5K, more if really perfect/best

Here are my thoughts:

ACD 30": Pros: Great resolution
    Great PQ for computer
    Obviously built for Mac
    Cons: Not sure how TV will look (Is CR and response time adq?)
    How will 1080p TV work on larger native resolution?
    Best way to input TV signal from settop box?
    (Likely TV tuner card and software?)

Sony XBR: Pros: Native 1080p on bigger screen (40")
    Reports of great PQ (?best for LCD TV)
    Cons: Reports of clouding issues
    How does it work as a computer monitor?
    32-37" range not 1080p

Sharp Aquos: Pros: 37" has 1080p in several models
    Also reports of great PQ (?best for LCD TV)
    Cons: D62 line has significant reports of "banding"
    D90 model reportedly weak as PC monitor, ? discont.
    GPU line coming out in March/April (?best option)

Other: New ACD, others?

Any advice you all have would be greatly appreciated. In general, although monitors are becoming more like TVs and vice versa, there still does not appear to be a clear ideal hybrid to my knowledge. My ideal would probably be a 32 or 37" with 1080p (or better). Also, how does the "resolution independence" of Leopard affect these decisions? Until the new ACD are out I am leaning to a Sharp Aquos.... perhaps the 32 or 37 GPU.

Thanks for any and all advice!!!

Glad to be coming back....
  2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

May 27, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Not true. Any computer with a DVI port can take full advantage of the ACD. I also recommend against getting it, mainly because there are better monitors for less. As far as looks go, it is one of the best. There are HDTVs that support Dual Link DVI, but not sure if you're looking for this to serve as just an external monitor, or whether you're looking for more than that. If it's for the bedroom, yes. If it's just going into the office, then I would look at higher native resolution screens.

This HDTV supports DVI and VGA.

Dell W2306C TV.
  3. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Mar 14, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I really don't like the Sharp as much as other people, IMHO (the D62U, that is).

I *DO* see the great value in it though. It is under $2000, which is a great factor. Although at work we have it next to the Samsung 40" (LNS4096D) and the Sony XBR, and it seems very, very washy. Ever after we crank the backlight down, I am still dissapointed by the black levels.

I really like the ACD option, but you say it's not big enough.
  4. NYCAVS thread starter macrumors member

Jan 15, 2007
    Benthewraith... Thanks for the clarification, ACD are more than just for macs. What do you mean "for more than that?"

Jschultz... Thanks for the feedback on the Sharp D62. THe 30" ACD is big enough, but I'm very interested to hear from someone on how regular TV, movies, etc looks on it, in particular 1080p and 1080i content. How is the data scaled and does it take up the whole screen. My main issue with the ACD is that I am told the CR and response rate is less than the XBR/Aquos level tv's and that motion, sports, would suffer. But I admit this is ALL second hand info.
  5. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    There is a huge price difference between 30" monitors and 40" monitors.

There is no consumer HDTV with more than 1920 x 1080 pixels. From 37" down to 26", 1366 x 768 is fairly standard. However, even the 26" monitors have HDMI.
    This is a fantastic computer monitor, but poor choice as a TV. In its native resolution, it can display four HD videos simultaneously at full resolution. As a TV, it is too expensive and too small.

These are designed to be TVs. If you want them for [PowerPoint] presentation monitors or as video editor displays, then they will probably be OK. Otherwise, they are great TVs.

The last time I checked Sharp's 37" HDTVs, only the Sharp Aquos LC-37D90U is capable of displaying 1080p. The other 37" models are 1366 x 768, which will do 720p. No 32" Sharp will do 1080p.

The thing that you need to understand is that a 23" ACD has more pixels than any 1080p HDTV. As computers monitors increase in size, they gain more pixels. As HDTVs increase in size, they are more likely to gain larger pixels rather than more pixels. On your 65" Sharp Aquos, a football game will look fantastic. However, a Microsoft Word document will appear blurry unless you stand back and look at it from a distance.

My advice is that if you want an HDTV, you can get a 32" model for less than $1,000 with integrated ATSC tuner and all the input ports you can ask for (including HDMI). For your computer, get a dedicated monitor.
  6. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Oct 31, 2005
    Twin Cities, MN
    My answer? 37'' Westinghouse LVM-37W3 can be had for around $1,100. I have it, and it's the best purchase I've ever made, ever. 1920x1080 (1080p), 8 ms refresh, SUPER clear text, it's truly a GREAT computer monitor and TV alike. Contrast isn't SUPERB, but it's alright. Granted, it might not be as high quality as you may like, but it's sure served my HDTV, monitor, PC gaming, and DVD watching needs. Here's a pic of mine:

Attached Files:

7. NYCAVS thread starter macrumors member

Jan 15, 2007
    You are probably right but I really want to get one display with hybrid use. Most computers are now being used for video as well which makes the TV motion etc. issues relevant. Thanks again for your advice.​
  8. NYCAVS thread starter macrumors member

Jan 15, 2007
    Sorry for the last reply post with the confusing quote/reply distinctions... I'm new here and learning...
  9. NYCAVS thread starter macrumors member

Jan 15, 2007
    Thanks. I have heard some (mostly good) about this and I think I will look into it further. The price is certainly attractive. Does it have a good mount available?
  10. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Oct 31, 2005
    Twin Cities, MN
    Yeah, there are tons of mounts all over eBay that work just great for it.