30" ACD as a TV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zoran, Sep 30, 2006.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

Has anyone tried using it as a TV? Is it better or worse than the plasma or LCD tv displays that are around?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

well lets put it this way, i believe the highest resolution TVs around are about 1080 I think (not sure)

so the 30" ACD would have a much higher resolution than the output from the cable tv.

however, i have standard def TV on my 20" monitor and it looks fine fullscreen. So I guess it may be fine for some and not for others.

Also you would I believe have to use eyeTV for it if it is connected through a computer, or something comporable.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

i wouldn't, standard tv on it would be awful 640x480 to 2560x1600 which it would have make it 13 times bigger and pixelate the hell out of it. for dvd about the same. and high def would look ok, if you could get an uncompressed feed into it.

Plasma's and lcd-tv are designed to show those lower resolution images, and have special processors and filters to make it look good. Sure you could do it, but i woudn't recomend it, in fact recomend not to.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

So, I don't have a TV and don't really want one but I watch about 3 DVDs from Netflix a week on my 12" PB. I've also begun scanning the family photo albums and would like to get a bigger monitor. I was thinking of a 19" LCD and was wondering if I could buy a cheap DVD player and hook it up directly to the monitor via DVI, therefore saving wear and tear on my PB. Would this work, would it look ok?

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

A computer monitor works well for viewing TV and DVDs, as long as you're not too close to it. "Too close" depends on the size of the monitor and the resolution of what you're watching. People tend to sit closer to monitors than TVs and so notice artifacts more easily. Sit back a bit, and it'll look fine.

6. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

But sitting back so that all seems fine is what can happen with a plasma or lcd telly, well sort of and after all thats subjective. Hasnt anyone tested the 30'' ACD with tv and tell us the results compared to a telly?

7. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

while i have never done this it wont look as good as tv becuase a tv doesnt expect preprocessed video, while a comp. monitor expects a preprocessed video and has minimum video processing abilities.

as someone said erlier Distance=Good.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

is there any option other than eyetv to get tv on your computer?

seems like it it wouldnt be that hard to figure a way.......

or maybe im just stupid lol

i mean is there a way to get a box that has a cable input and outputs via dvi or vga for video and a minijack port for audio? granted no computer interface or anything but seems like its doable

anyone else agree?

9. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

while their is a way to do this its normally used by pros with a pro price tag on it like 2499. My cable box has a dvi out on it and something to convert rca plug audio are really cheap. I might try this with my 15" dell lcd. ohh yah you can start being jellous... :cool:

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

totally let me know if it works

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yes, but...

I know one...you can plug coaxial into one end and then vga or DVI into another.

Yeah...it's called EYETV.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well if you looked at my first post, i asked if there was a way besides eyetv..... doesnt seem like too hard of a technology to duplicate

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

FWIW, TV looks great on my 24 inch Dell display. I know it's not 30 inches, but it's a promising sign. :)

14. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

You obviously missed the sarcasm in my post.

If it doesn't seem like it's too hard to duplicate, why do you think you haven't received any other options?

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sorry sometimes sarcasm is hard to pick up in writing lol

im just saying its probably not the hardest thing to do compared to making crt's cars and anything else we have. .sure may not be easy but im suprised not more comapnies have done this

16. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

You're right...I have wanted a device like this for a while--let's call it a converter for now--but have balked at paying the price of a new TV JUST for the converter.

17. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

i didn't realize that there were different types of dvi cables and the one on my monitor has 4 extra pins on it that makes it not fit. :mad:

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes...there are several different types of DVI connectors. The Apple Cinema Displays use DVI-I connectors...single-link for the 20" and 23" and dual-link for the 30".

19. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Hm I'm thinking about doing this too... but would probably be cheaper to sell the ACD and buy a nice LCD TV instead...

20. jdechko macrumors 68040

It depends on how much you want to spend. Check out the Viewsonic HD12 (link) I don't have the HD12, so I can't comment on performance. It would probably work, but at $400, you might want to consider a TV if you plan to do a lot of TV watching.