30" ACD or 30" LCD TV?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by robins2001, Aug 31, 2004.

1. robins2001 macrumors member

Hi, whats the difference between the new 30" ADC and many 30" LCD TV's that are available for better prices? These can still be used with your Mac's unless im mistaken?

I was thinking about getting one of the 2 for my new pad, wall mounted and using it for both TV and computer via wireless mouse n keyboard..

Thanks

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

The 30" ACD has a MUCH MUCH higher resolution than those 30" LCD TVs, that's the bottom line.

3. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

If the LCD TV doesn't have a DVI port... then it's not going to work with a Mac...

There may be a few port converters that *may* allow it to work with a LCD TV but I don't know of any ATM.

4. robins2001 thread starter macrumors member

ok so what would the quality of the tv be on the 30" ACD using some kind of tv tuner on the mac?

thanks

5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

They'll have VGA Ports... some have DVI Ports... and DVI->VGA COMES WITH all new macs... otherwise its like $15 adapter from apple.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think your better bet would be to get a Dell 2005FPW for your Mac (~$500) and a nice 28-32" LCD TV. Not only would you then have a great monitor, and a great TV, but you could use both at once. I know I'd hate to have to use only either one or the other at a time. Also I bet this could wind up cheaper than the 30"+the 6800 required to drive it.

7. robins2001 thread starter macrumors member

yeah ive heard them dell monitors are good, they the same as the apple displays arnt they?

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The same or better. They have 4 inputs, and a much better warranty (3 years). Excellent screens.