30" ACD with two bright stuck pixels....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by technocoy, Nov 17, 2005.

1. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

Just got my 30" today and got it plugged in and WHAM! i've got two stuck pixels...

one of these I actually would have let slide since it's white and off to the side... but the other... it's bright green, big and just off the center of the display.

Now, I know their "policy" is more than like 9 pixels, but this sucker is obvious. Also, if it was on my powerbook or something I might understand (not really), But on a 2500.00 display that is used for design... uh uh.

What do you guys think... I'm going to try itasor's MPG4, but if that doesn't work, i think i might have to have my first round with apple, after many many products.

Any other 30" owners with dead/stuck pixels? any luck?

thanks,
    technocoy

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

God, I'm famous.

Actually, I just got rid of a dead pixels on the clamshell I bought's screen. Ran it over night and it's allll gonnneee! Still can't get this other one to go away though.

3. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I used ITASOR's pixel fixer thingy and it worked on my iBook G4 :)

4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

5. technocoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

technocoy

lol,

well from what i hear, you deserve it itasor. ha ha.

6. murphdog macrumors newbie

7. technocoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

technocoy

will do...

got to receive my new 15" before i can run it again, I had the gaming guys at work test it today on their PC before I brought it home... Half-life and quake4 looked pretty amazing at that resolution. It was unbelievable. It couldn't run at full settings, but it kinda made HD TV look weak.. I mean, i was like 3 inches from the screen and things were crystal clear... it was amazing.

It's just that I've been doing a lot of freelancing and saving for this sucker, and 2500.00 is a LOT o money no matter how you slice it. :D

i just really want at least this to be right, especially if i'm gonna deal with lines in my PB.

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

I assume you've already tried the "gentle massage" technique? (Use your fingernail to rub the area of the pixel gently for a little while). It rarely works, but I've revived pixels on older Dell displays this way once or twice. Worth a shot, anyway, since you're not going to damage the screen if you're careful.

9. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

ok where can i get this dead pixel fixer thing? is there a link??

10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Yeah, I agree. Take it back, and don't leave to you get a new one. I had to do the same with my PB. I was not settling for a dead pixel. You know it will bother you forever, always staring back at you

Like the green light across the Sound....

11. devman macrumors 65816

devman

get onto whoever you bought it from right away. The clock is ticking on your 10 days (or whatever that number is). Your best angle is that one of the stuck pixels is right in your field of vision - right where you always work.

The official policy is something like >3 pixels in a square inch (cant remember exactly now). My first 30" had 7 stuck pixels but no 2 were within an inch of each other. Anyway, what seemed to get me over the line for a replacement was that some of them were right in the middle where I'm always working. I had to take the display in for someone authorised to "certify" there were dead or stuck pixkels and how many of them, etc. But after that they offered me a new one straight away.

Good luck.

12. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

ditto

13. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

14. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

It was originally made by someone else for a PC, hence the credits at the end, but I changed it to mov, added a color, and made it faster.

15. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

ok i downloaded it, and it came as "pixelmurder.mp3.txt" and it was just a text document with a bunch of weird characters a part of it

16. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

What did you use to download it?

You can try just renaming it to pixelmurder.mp4 and it might possibly work.

17. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I had about 6-7 stuck pixels when I bought my 30". Brought it back the next day and made sure I checked the 2nd display in-store for [stuck] pixels before I brought it home. Stuck pixels are normal, but when you are paying this much money and need it for professional use, they better give you a perfect display. Good luck.

18. iGary Guest

iGary

I went through two displays before this one.

Of course mine completely blew up, no dead pixels. :eek:

19. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Control + Click on it, Download link, take off the txt, and then try it. That worked for me.

20. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

For your viewing convenience, may I present: http://itasor.com/pixelmurder.mov -- Quicktime format for your viewing pleasure!

21. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

ok, and how am i supposed to use this.....just play it a couple times.....i dun get it...

22. efoto macrumors 68030

I think you are supposed to full-screen it, or at least have it over the place where the pixel is stuck, then run it on loop for a while so that it forces the pixel to change multiple times very fast. The idea is to 'loosen up' the pixel by giving it a ton of orders rapidly....I think :p

23. technocoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

technocoy

thanks for all the replies

I'm calling apple tomorrow... I tried pixelmurder two nights in a row.

no dice.

I feel kinda selfish now only having two and whining about it with some of you having like 7, lol. but it's the principal of it... Apple brags about their quality, and I love them, but this kind of stuff is unacceptable. When you are buying a display specifically for that to display things, and you're paying 2500.00 for it, you shouldn't have to look at a bright green dot right in the middle of your workspace. period.

At any rate, thanks for all the replies and support, i'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow.

technocoy

24. efoto macrumors 68030

is there any type of DVI to HDMI converter on market currently? Or DVI to Component?

For $2500 you can get some very nice 32" HD LCD TVs, which are pretty sweet and could function as more than just a computer monitor....I realize that's no ACD, but considering it's cheaper and similar in performance (I assume), it may not be a bad way to go. Some may even have a DVI connection native, but most new ones are HDMI.

25. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

they're also 1280x800 at best.