30" CD Acting weird

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wardworld, Jun 11, 2006.

1. wardworld macrumors newbie

My NEW 30" CD has started having what looks like marching ants across the screen (mostly a green color).
    I've attempted to upload a screenshot as an attachment.
    Has anyone else seen this problem on your monitor??
    -Daryl

Attached Files:

2. iGary Guest

iGary

How new?

3. wardworld thread starter macrumors newbie

4. iGary Guest

iGary

OK, too late to just take it in and swap.

Obviously you have checked all the monitor connections, right?

What system are you running it on, and what video card to you have?

5. wardworld thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, more weirdness...now it's NOT doing it and the thumbnail I attached does NOT look like it actually captured the "marching ants of color" thing.
    I'm running OS 10.4.6 on a Dual 2 GHz G5 w/ 2.5 GB of RAM. I have a brand new Radeon 9600 Pro installed.
    I guess this is like the used car problem where the issue only works when it wants to make you look foolish :)

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Well of course not. It's a hardware issue, your G5 captured the pixels correctly.

There's a few possibilities. I've seen the 30" do this when the connection is bad. And the 9600 Pro isn't capable of running a 30" ACD... you must have a 9650.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

If it's not in the screenshot, and it's intermittent, then my money is on a poor connection or something near the monitor that's interfering with it. Is, say, your refrigerator running when you see the noise or something? Or perhaps it only happens when the cable is routed a certain way? Subtle stuff like that is more often external than a hardware problem, so check all the connections, see what's going on when it happens, and maybe you'll figure it out. If not, maybe a swap is in order, though there's a good chance it'll just come back.

Oh, and an interesting thing about graphics card issues: When a graphics card starts screwing up in OSX (my 9800 did last year), I was surprised to find that I *could* capture the garbage with a screenshot. Apparently OSX just grabs the frame buffer for screenshots, so WYSIWYG. Shocking, in a way.

Now, this won't show up if it's a bad monitor or cabling, so that sort of rules out internal problems, anyway.

8. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Yes the new 9600 can run the 30" ACD

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ATI Technologies/100435060/

9. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

The problem is that you spent $2500 on an overpriced monitor. I had to, sorry.:D

Carry on.

10. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

sorry is not a verb.

11. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

12. Synapple macrumors regular

This is a known issue with some batches of the 30" display.
    You should find some very informative posts on this if you search at the apple discussion forums for "dancing green pixels".