30" cinema display for gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by mishi, Jul 6, 2006.

1. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

hello, i am wondering if i will be able to play world of warcraft smoothly on a 30" cinema display on my 1.42ghz iBook...i mean come on its a G4!!!

no im kidding...i recently got my new PC rig (AMD FX60, 2gig of RAM, X1900XTX with 512vram). is it worth buying a 30" mac display for playing games. i understand that the response time is slow but this does not really concern me since i dont play many FPS games. this rig plays wow on my 19" CRT screen at arround 150fps average (never ever seen below 90). but will the extra 11 inches ever take my performance down to an unacceptable level (arround 30 fps for me) for wow.

when i went in to look at the 30" display...to my suprise the dual 2.3GHz G5 (i checked it and it had a the standard 6600 video card) that it was connected to actually had WoW on it...and i have to say the performance on the native resolution "left much to be desired".

has anyone actually tried this on a similar rig to my new PC??

any feedback would be great

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Sure... if you have the money, and the skills to play. Seriously, what a waste of money. That display is e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e for a gaming display.

3. mishi thread starter macrumors regular

mishi

the cost in my case is irrelevant, i am getting the display for $1000 australian (arround 700 U.S correct me if i am wrong).

i plan to use it for a television as well, im just curious if anyone else has played wow or any game with similar system requirements to wow on a 30" screen.

(i play a priest...and those of you who also play a priest will know how irratating all the clutter of a priest UI is...seriously it takes up half of my 19" screen when its fully set up for a raid. an extra 11 inches would be nice)

4. skillz1318 macrumors regular

can you get me a 30" apple display for 700!?!?!?

5. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

Probably you won't get acceptable performance, but who cares? For that price i'd take a 30" cinema display anyway and keep on gaming on the 19" screen :D

Also consider the 23" cinema display, depending on what native resolution you have on your current 19" screen, you might gain a lot of usable space and still have good performance.

Edit:
    I just saw some benchmarks of the X1900XTX card and hmm... maybe you will get 30-40fps afterall... i honestly didn't know it was that powerful. For current generation games it will probably be enough to enjoy them at the native res. Just a theory based on how well the card scales to higher resolutions, though.

6. benyaimin macrumors member

how can you get that for $700?

7. wessellj macrumors newbie

First, I'm jealous because I paid full price.
    Second, I put the display on my desk and before I even got the wrapper off, I was doing the Tim Allen grunt.
    Third, I play WoW on it and love it. The performance is great and the colors are crisp and clear. I bought it for photo development, but sometimes ya gotta take a break and hack n slash a bit. :D

8. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

Are you playing at the native resolution of the display? What graphics card do you have and how many fps would you consider "great performance"?

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

You have a radeon x1900xt with 512 VRAM. Your "test system" had an nvidea 6600. WoW will play wonderfully for you. Enough said.

10. mishi thread starter macrumors regular

mishi

i got it for $700 beacuse my friends dad owns a mac store, it was floor stock but it had only been on display for a week then they moved location...it had been sitting in a warehouse for 2 months so they dicided to sell it real cheap.

lucky me :D :D :D

oh yeah...and the 1.33ghz powerbook 17" cannot run the 30" can it?

11. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

No

Actually u cannot use a 30 inch ACD with the iBook because it does not have a dual link DVI output.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Did you read past the first sentence?:confused: He said he was kidding!

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

A 30" ACD for only $700???!!!!! :eek: GO FOR IT! :)

Good point QCassidy352- your Radeon X1900XT will make a difference in performance. :)