Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
I recently bought the Apple 23" display for my current PowerMac and I have a PowerMac Quad on the way. But when I put the Cinema display next to my other Cinema Display(older Apple ADC version), it looked, well ... small.

Now I'm soooo tempted to bring this monitor back and exhange it for the 30" monster. Should I do it? Or am I just a tech retard?

Mike

- I do HD video work, so thats why I'm looking at these monitors by the way ...

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
PowerMike G5 said:
I recently bought the Apple 23" display for my current PowerMac and I have a PowerMac Quad on the way. But when I put the Cinema display next to my other Cinema Display(older Apple ADC version), it looked, well ... small.

Now I'm soooo tempted to bring this monitor back and exhange it for the 30" monster. Should I do it? Or am I just a tech retard?

Mike

- I do HD video work, so thats why I'm looking at these monitors by the way ...

At today's price point, I see no reason not to. I'm considering a second if my contract bonus comes through.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
Be safe and buy three. A spare, or you can run it into your bathroom or put it under a glass table!

Impress the guests!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Is it too late to cancel the quad order, join ADC as a Select member for $500, then save more than that on a combined quad/30" ACD purchase, which would also allow you to cover the ACD under AppleCare?

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
... i also considering a second 30" in about two or three months. it depends how business goes ;)
enjoy!
.a

Zoowatch

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Sheffield, UK
wow....
Quad + 30" display is a really impressive set-up...
u guys seem really loaded (with money)

when u finally get the 30" monster... be sure to check for any faded areas or dead / stuck pixels in the display....

it's a huge piece of display and the likelihood of something going wrong is quite high

to repair it later will be expensive
also... Apple sometimes seem rather reluctant to replace ur brand-new display if you've found only 1 or 2 dead pixels on it

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
Zoowatch said:
wow....
Quad + 30" display is a really impressive set-up...
u guys seem really loaded (with money)

when u finally get the 30" monster... be sure to check for any faded areas or dead / stuck pixels in the display....

it's a huge piece of display and the likelihood of something going wrong is quite high

to repair it later will be expensive
also... Apple sometimes seem rather reluctant to replace ur brand-new display if you've found only 1 or 2 dead pixels on it

lol, well I work professionally in film/television and do alot of editing so I'm using my profession as justification :)

so I did it .... it is sitting next to me in the box right now
:)

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
ijimk said:
just make sure you have the right video card for the 30 big daddy display! :cool:

well i have the ATI Radeon X800 XT in my Dual 2.5Ghz G5 right now .. so that'll do ...

I'm curious though how it'll perform with my new quad as I will be buying that with the stock card ... I would guess not as good :confused:

iMacSE500

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2005
M
Whenever I go to the applestore, I stand in awe of the 30inch MONSTER. I am jealous right now...If the iMac came in 30in screen, I would have bought it and I wouldnt not have cared that it would have been too big for my college dorm.:D

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
iMacSE500 said:
Whenever I go to the applestore, I stand in awe of the 30inch MONSTER. I am jealous right now...If the iMac came in 30in screen, I would have bought it and I wouldnt not have cared that it would have been too big for my college dorm.:D

MY GOD!!!!! is this thing huge!!!!

I'm actually thinking about bringing it back and getting the 23" cause its just sooooooooo big ... (and can use the extra money on upgrades for the Quad)

But this practical way of thinking will probably go away in a couple of minutes :p

what do you guys think?

- I gotta get you guys some pics so u see what I mean ...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
PowerMike G5 said:
Physically, the LCD dimensions are the same as is the resolution. What is different is that the older displayes have a larger frame.

[quoteNow I'm soooo tempted to bring this monitor back and exhange it for the 30" monster. Should I do it? Or am I just a tech retard?

- I do HD video work, so thats why I'm looking at these monitors by the way[/QUOTE]If you're doing video work, the 30" might be better for you.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
What some people need is a Quad PowerMac with 2 - Quadro FX4500 video cards powering Quad 30" ACDs. Just imagine how much stuff you can be looking at all at once. 16,384,000 pixels. 16 freaking megapixels worth of Macrumors forums.

milky23

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2005
I worked all this year on a 30" Cinema Display that I was borrowing from my school. Absolutely incredible, and well worth the money, if you have it. Extremely nice to Photoshop in, especially with 17"x11" 300dpi PSDs.

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
PowerMike G5 said:
MY GOD!!!!! is this thing huge!!!!

I'm actually thinking about bringing it back and getting the 23" cause its just sooooooooo big ... (and can use the extra money on upgrades for the Quad)

But this practical way of thinking will probably go away in a couple of minutes :p

what do you guys think?

- I gotta get you guys some pics so u see what I mean ...

Ok, i'm getting used to the size of this thing ...

No way am I going to return this thing now ... I can't believe I was actually thinking in a practical sense :p

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
PowerMike G5 said:
Ok, i'm getting used to the size of this thing ...

No way am I going to return this thing now ... I can't believe I was actually thinking in a practical sense :p

It takes a few days....Mine looks not so huge anymore...but when people see it in my office they go "Holy ****!!*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.