30" Cinema Display or keep 23"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PowerMike G5, Oct 24, 2005.

1. PowerMike G5 macrumors regular

I recently bought the Apple 23" display for my current PowerMac and I have a PowerMac Quad on the way. But when I put the Cinema display next to my other Cinema Display(older Apple ADC version), it looked, well ... small.

Now I'm soooo tempted to bring this monitor back and exhange it for the 30" monster. Should I do it? Or am I just a tech retard?

Mike

- I do HD video work, so thats why I'm looking at these monitors by the way ...

2. iGary Guest

iGary

At today's price point, I see no reason not to. I'm considering a second if my contract bonus comes through.

3. iMacSE500 macrumors member

iMacSE500

4. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Be safe and buy three. A spare, or you can run it into your bathroom or put it under a glass table!

Impress the guests!

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

or buy another 23" and put them next each other. You even save a bit of money because you don't have to update your videocard!

6. PowerMike G5 thread starter macrumors regular

Good idea!!!

I knew you guys would be the voice of reasoning!!!

7. PowerMike G5 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks ... looks like i'm going for it!

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Is it too late to cancel the quad order, join ADC as a Select member for $500, then save more than that on a combined quad/30" ACD purchase, which would also allow you to cover the ACD under AppleCare?

9. .a macrumors regular

... i also considering a second 30" in about two or three months. it depends how business goes ;)
    enjoy!
    .a

10. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Post pictures!! :D

11. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

wow....
    Quad + 30" display is a really impressive set-up...
    u guys seem really loaded (with money)

when u finally get the 30" monster... be sure to check for any faded areas or dead / stuck pixels in the display....

it's a huge piece of display and the likelihood of something going wrong is quite high

to repair it later will be expensive
    also... Apple sometimes seem rather reluctant to replace ur brand-new display if you've found only 1 or 2 dead pixels on it

12. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

just make sure you have the right video card for the 30 big daddy display! :cool:

13. PowerMike G5 thread starter macrumors regular

lol, well I work professionally in film/television and do alot of editing so I'm using my profession as justification :)

so I did it .... it is sitting next to me in the box right now
    :)

14. PowerMike G5 thread starter macrumors regular

well i have the ATI Radeon X800 XT in my Dual 2.5Ghz G5 right now .. so that'll do ...

I'm curious though how it'll perform with my new quad as I will be buying that with the stock card ... I would guess not as good :confused:

15. PowerMike G5 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll post pics when I can ....

16. iMacSE500 macrumors member

iMacSE500

Whenever I go to the applestore, I stand in awe of the 30inch MONSTER. I am jealous right now...If the iMac came in 30in screen, I would have bought it and I wouldnt not have cared that it would have been too big for my college dorm.:D

17. PowerMike G5 thread starter macrumors regular

MY GOD!!!!! is this thing huge!!!!

I'm actually thinking about bringing it back and getting the 23" cause its just sooooooooo big ... (and can use the extra money on upgrades for the Quad)

But this practical way of thinking will probably go away in a couple of minutes :p

what do you guys think?

- I gotta get you guys some pics so u see what I mean ...

18. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

you could keep both current displays and buy a 30" along with an extra 6600 to drive all 3 :cool:

19. Bear macrumors G3

Physically, the LCD dimensions are the same as is the resolution. What is different is that the older displayes have a larger frame.

[quoteNow I'm soooo tempted to bring this monitor back and exhange it for the 30" monster. Should I do it? Or am I just a tech retard?

- I do HD video work, so thats why I'm looking at these monitors by the way[/QUOTE]If you're doing video work, the 30" might be better for you.

20. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

What some people need is a Quad PowerMac with 2 - Quadro FX4500 video cards powering Quad 30" ACDs. Just imagine how much stuff you can be looking at all at once. 16,384,000 pixels. 16 freaking megapixels worth of Macrumors forums.

21. milky23 macrumors regular

I worked all this year on a 30" Cinema Display that I was borrowing from my school. Absolutely incredible, and well worth the money, if you have it. Extremely nice to Photoshop in, especially with 17"x11" 300dpi PSDs.

22. PowerMike G5 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, i'm getting used to the size of this thing ...

No way am I going to return this thing now ... I can't believe I was actually thinking in a practical sense :p

23. iGary Guest

iGary

It takes a few days....Mine looks not so huge anymore...but when people see it in my office they go "Holy ****!!*