30" Cinema Display owners (Eye strain?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by radiantm3, Nov 20, 2005.

1. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I'm not sure if it's just me, but do any of you have eye strain after staring at the screen for hours? I never had this issue on my 20" cinema display or any other LCD screen for that matter (I use a 21" lcd at work daily without any issues). But when I work on my 30", my eyes start to burn after a few hours. I'm starting to think that it's because my room isn't well lit enough and the display is so bright.

And I also can conclude that it's this display because I can use my 19" CRT (100hz) for hours without any issues as well. It's only when I use the 30" that my eyes start to hurt.

2. Stinkythe1 macrumors regular

I'll take it off your hands if you end up going blind.
    :p

3. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

I couldnt imagine an lcd making your eyes burn, I've used my 30" for upwards of 10+ hours without any real eye strain.

4. radiantm3 thread starter macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Do you use it in a well lit room?

5. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I use mine all day at work and it doesn't cause me any problems (that I know of). Maybe increasing your room light or decreasing the monitor brightness would help.

6. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

hows your vision doing too...maybe time for an eye exam??

7. radiantm3 thread starter macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Definitely time. :) But that still doesn't change the fact that this is the only display that seems to bother me. :D

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If I use my 30'' in a dark room I get eye strain, but in a lit room its not a problem.

9. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Tried sitting back from the screen?
    Turning down brightness?
    You should be having a 5-10 minute break every hour and standing up to stretch for 30seconds every 30 mins.

10. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Fairly I guess, we have one 10W fluorescent small lamp above my desk in the photo below, that’s the only lighting during the night so its not like an office where there’s loads of light, during the day I get light from two windows to my right. I don’t get any eyestrain or feel like I have to sit back from the monitor or anything.

here's how it looks:

http://www.usnet1.net/Desk.jpg

11. Mr. "D" macrumors newbie

Have you looked for another source of burning eyes in the environment of the offending monitor? Allergy sensitivity at that location??? Does burning eyes sound like eye strain?
    :confused: :confused:

12. pionata macrumors 6502

Maybe its becose you just got your monitor and spent too much time looking at it... Your not supposed to look at the same area for hours, that would of course realy exhaust your eyes, you should take a 15 minutes break every 2 hours or so. And having a window with sun light behind the computer would certainly help. Also make sure your about 3 feet away (most people sit 2 feet away from the computer instead of 3).

Also, maybe your eyes are just getting dry becose of the heating since winter is comming. Just use a drop or 2 of cleareye and it should go away.

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Tried blinking?!?! :eek: :)

14. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

I believe a well lit room is a simple solution to the LCD eyestrain problem.

15. Dafke macrumors 6502

Dafke

16. Lau Guest

Try turning that desk lamp round so it ambiently lights that whole wall behind the screen, instead of having a bright light above you. That should help.

17. radiantm3 thread starter macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Thanks for the advice. The first step will be better lighting in my room. :cool:

18. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

good plan. i've made sure i don't suffer from any eye strain with mine by, well mainly, not letting it fall off the desk. which would strain all of me quite a bit. but seriously, a well lit area is best. only time you should dim it is watching an FCP project / DVD or something..

19. iGary Guest

iGary

I work on mine 12+ hours a day in Photoshop - no probs here.

20. evannieuwburg macrumors newbie

30 inch ouch....

maybe an extreme topic kick, but i received my 30 inch cinema display 3 days ago and it hurts my head...... i think it is the anti reflective coating covering the display, but it gives a certain unsharpness to the picture. I visited a Machouse yesterday to try and compare the things and i must say that the one in the machouse looked much better.
    The coating gives a very grainy view to the screen which you particularly notice when using light colors. The screen on my brand new Macbook pro doesnt have this issue at all, but this particular 30" ACD sucks.

Does anybody know of Apple using different screens for their 30" cinema displays? I am thinking of be sending it back monday morning for a refund. Even considering buying the 24" Dell instead..... i've used it at a client and looked really good.

21. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

This is the best advice. It's not so much the brigtness that causes strain, it's the sharp contrast between bright (screen) and dark (wall).

Try ambient lighting behind the screen to soften the gradient. Also, follow the 20 rule - whilst using a computer every 20 minutes focus on something 20 metres away for 20 seconds.

AppleMatt

22. evannieuwburg macrumors newbie

Hi MAtt,
    Thanx for the reply, but....
    1) I have no wall behind the screen... it's a desk at my office which stands in open space :)
    2) I just cant believe that Apple uses this much coating on the screen. the image quality is pretty crappy because of it. It'd rather have glare on my screen than this coating.....

23. D-Aura macrumors newbie

D-Aura

30" eye strain

Guys, I have exactly the same problem here.:eek:

I just bought 2 x 30" cinema displays connected to a Mac Pro. The room where I work is well although not brightly lit and I sit a good distance back from the screens. There is *definitely* something strange. After a very short while I find my eyes actually burning - this sensation can last for hours afterwards and and I have difficulty focusing The only time I have ever experienced this before was years ago with a old 50Hz monitor.

What can it be ?
    -- Refresh rate too low - well just to check I upgraded my graphics card to the Nvidia 8800 GT. No change.
    -- Some kind of hard-to-detect flicker?
    -- Too bright -- seems to be the same whether I have the brightness turned up or down
    -- Some radiation effect - UV ? - should we be wearing RayBans

It does seem like there is something weird going on here and it's a serious eye-damaging problem.

24. evannieuwburg macrumors newbie

my theory about the eyes getting tired is this:
    There are 2 surface layers visible in the screen:
    - the coated layer is visible
    - the layer underneath the coating is where the light is emitted. My eyes cant make out at which depth they need to focus on the screen. This really wears my eyes out.... my ACD is going back today, whether they like it or not.

25. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I would trade the 30" for the 23". The surface coating is not as noticeable on my 23". I can still tell it's there but it's not bad at all.