30" Cinema Display too big to work comfortably ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Inlakech, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Inlakech macrumors newbie

I'm asking myself if a 30" ACD is just too big to work comfortably especially in Photoshop ... Don't your eyes hurt after some time, when you even have to move your head to look from one corner into the other ? Or is it the other way round helping to be pretty relaxed ?

I'm aiming at a 23" display but thinking about the possibility of a 30" although its very expensive.

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Buy A Dell Refurb 3007WFP For $1049 At Their Outlet

I use 4 monitors simultaneously on my Quad G5. 30" is my primary in front of me. On the left is a 1600 high by 1200 wide 20" Dell — rotated thanks to ATI. On the right is a 24" Dell 1920 wide x 1200 high. To the right of that is a 40" Samsung LN-S4095 HDTV 1920 x 1080 for media presentation sorta like a Super AppleTV. I love the 30" Dell. It includes an elevator. My eyes don't seem all that tired even after sitting in front of it day in and day out. Way better than the old CRTs I used to have to live with.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If you're working with print production, you'd probably be better off with Apple because they use better panels than the dell monitors. However, if not, you have to decide if the ACD is worth the extra money over a Dell.

Multimedia, you have an awesome setup. Is there any chance you have pictures of it or something?

4. munckee macrumors 65816

Actually, one of the creative mags (it was either computer arts or advanced photoshop) recently rated the dell over the apple 30".

5. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

that is the worst misconception.

apple does NOT use better panel than Dell... not in 30", not in 24/23"

ACD has no quality advantage over Dell

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Ah.. I just checked. You're right. Dell does use S-IPS panels in their 30''. However, they use PVA in the 24'' and 20''. Apple uses S-IPS in all of their cinema display models.

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It's not entirely true.

Apple has SWOP-certification, Dell hasn't.

8. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

but dell's 30" is HC, ACD is not

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You do get used to a large monitor very quickly. You are moving your head around more maybe but it's not noticeable in use. The thing that is most important is obviously the mouse - an Apple article won't cut it - but once that's sorted out there is not a major issue in my book. There are far more positives (smoother working, better multitasking) that go along with running one or even multiple large monitors than minuses. If you're worried about eye strain, remind yourself to take more breaks.

I wonder how many of these guys who go on about S-IPS, etc actually a) own the monitors and b) are honest with themselves about the work they do on either. I would imagine a very low percentage on this forum, where long-standing and otherwise apparently sane members start frothing at the mouth on the mention of Dell / etc with no relevant experience. Apple nerditry at it's worst. I also think the calibration issue is overwrought.

The image quality is fine on both models, and it is perfectly possible to calibrate the Dell for print work to my knowledge. I don't do it - my 23/30" ACD's and 2407WFP/3007WFP's are used for general computing - but I have purchased the 30" for people who do and they have no complaints. I rate the Dell definitively over the Apple in a number of categories: ergonomics, flexibility, warranty which I think are all relevant and important points to consider especially outside of an office situation. Price - in my case it's a little skewed as I can get a significant discount even before I start haggling on Dell gear, but I would say even for buyers without such leveraging ability the Dell is very well priced and is as a package easily the better buy.

10. Inlakech thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replys ....

Talking about the "mouse", what do you guys think about the working relation of a a4 wacom intuos 3 to the 30" acd + 19" pallete tft ? Too small tablet ?
    I'm comfortable not moving my arm too much, as more straight moves are easier when painting.

11. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

does anyone know if a 24 imac will power a 30" acd or dell

12. Turkish macrumors 6502

With the upgraded video card, yes.

13. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

no, it won't work.

14. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Wow, I think that 30" just perfect for everything. I can edit pictures and surf the web at the same time!

Nope, it's just the right size... not too big or small.

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No, the 30" has a resolution of 2560 x 1600

16. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

But HC is overrated still. Thus no advantage there.

17. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

18. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

that's not true. x1600 (or 7300/7600) is fine, but the mini dvi is not a dual link dvi

19. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Simply Not True

This is simply not true: the Apple LUT's are more finely tuned than the Dell AND the LACK of adjustment controls allows the video card and SWOP calibration profile to do all the color adjustment work through Colorsync.

The apple does have a small advantage over the dell for PRINT production.

For all else it is a wash, agreed.

20. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Looks like everyone else is arguing about the monitors still :rolleyes: and I'm surprised no-one's commented about the tablet 'gearing'.

Not a designer once again, and the only 'tablet' I have these days is a Cintiq 21UX which I use as the front-end to my home theater PC :) and it's been a while since I drew with a tablet (used both A4/A5 tablets with 17 - 21" CRT monitors) but I would imagine it's rather like working with an A5 tablet on a 19CRT-20LCD monitor - workable with the appropriate tablet setup, but not absolutely ideal. I hope someone who uses the setup can comment.

21. ..........? macrumors member

Same LCD panel but not same quality

It is true that the 30" dell and apple display use the same LCD panel.

The difference between the two panel is the inspection of the panel before it is use in the display. Dell will have a slacker quality standard meaning some panel that apple will not use because it think it is not up to apple quality standard and dell will still use.

Also the electronic component are different. The back light, signal conversion from digital to analog (so the lcd can display the image), case design(quality if material and design of the inside and outside) power supply , other chips use, the main electrical circuit and image control. The quality of the parts use is way different.

Also how the display is calibrated and tuned at the factory can make the difference between the two display.

22. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

LOL, are you trying to say Apple has good quality control?

Sorry, I'm not laughing at you, just that people still think Apple has good quality control.

Any display, ACD or Dell, are constantly recalibrated. So how it was calibrated at the factory only matter "out-of-the-box". Any digital photograph professional will have to recalibrated their display.

23. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

The backlighting used in the Dell and ACD is the key difference.

The calibration is totaly dependent on your environment and peripherals enveloped; for true accuracy a calibration tool is a must.

The Pantone Spyder 2 is what I use but a cheap alternative is the Pantone Huey

24. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

Regarding their monitors I believe they are top notch on the quality control standpoint - I haven't owned a 23" with the pinkish hue problem but have owned 1 Studio display and 4 ACDs with no problems what so ever.

25. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

My new 23" ACD doesn't have any pink hue and the quality of it is incredible. Dell's pretty much the same price as Apple in Europe so it's a no-brainer to take Apple. Plus, as it is a home machine the beautiful design is a plus.

Really, why can't other companies make a monitor as elegant as the ACD??

I would love a 30" but decided instead to get another 23" next year instead - and that will fill my whole desk :)