30 days to lose weight -- what should I do?

Discussion in 'Community' started by dotnina, Sep 9, 2004.

1. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Next month I'll be going on my first ever "business trip." I'll be meeting a lot of people who may just hire me for a real job when I finish college in the spring.

All of this has come as a surprise, and so I'm wholly unprepared. I'm a little upset, actually, because I want to lose about 15 pounds but I know I can't do it in 30 days.

I'm not horribly overweight ... nobody's shopping in the plus-size section or anything (not that there's anything wrong with this). Still, I'd feel better about myself / more confident / etc. if I could just slim down a little.

So, my question to everyone is: have you ever had to lose weight in a short period of time? What worked for you in terms of food / gym schedule / other things? What kind of results did you see?

2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I'm kinda in the same boat. I have three weeks before I start school in florida, and I'm trying to make my pasty-wisconsin self more beach appropriate. I'm going to start tanning and get out on the bike/longboard at least once every couple days. As long as you're doing something regularly for your body, you'll feel ready.

As for the losing 15lbs... listen to everybody else, I know nothing about that kind of thing. While we're on the topic, does anyone know how to get a little bit of muscles without access to equipment/pills?

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Dotnina, forgive my ignorance, but are you male or female? How much do you weigh? I just trying to understand the relative importance of 15lbs.

I am unfortunately no good with any weight-loss advice, as I am very thin. So I will merely limit myself to the importance of perhaps buying a new, professional outfit (suit or whatever), that makes you look and feel your best. Maybe a haircut too.

Sorry I can't be of more help...

4. friarbayliff macrumors regular

Pushups anyone?

5. shecky Guest

shecky

eat less. never eat before bed (i try to keep at least a 5 hour no-food window before i goto bed) drink TONS, and i mean copious amounts, of water - at least a full gallon a day.

i have lost about 20 lbs in 2 months by doing just that - i usually do around 1800 calories or less a day now - usually less, but i am a big guy and i was pushing at least 3000 a day or more when i was in full Sheckyness. Some people eat 5 small meals a day, some eat 2 bigger ones, it better for your metabolism to eat 5 small meals, but i find it way more mentally satisfying to eat 1 or 2 big meals instead. I also take a daily multivitamin and some fiber pills to keep the pipes running smoothly. i don't really exercise but i do walk a bit everyday (more exercise is phase 2 - soon.)

6. dotnina thread starter macrumors 6502a

Strangely enough, my boyfriend has become quite the muscleman (even more incentive for me to lose weight, huh). In addition to working out, he's been drinking protein shakes. It seems to work, but I don't know how much is on account of the protein and how much is on account of the actual gymming.

7. dotnina thread starter macrumors 6502a

Female

I like your advice / comments, except the part about asking my weight. :eek: A lady never tells, isn't that what they say? ;)

I'm guessing 15 lbs. would take me down a dress size or two? We'll see.

No matter what, I plan to lose the weight soon ... and when I do, I'll be sure to post in the Macrumors Pics thread. :)

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You don't need to lose 15 lbs to look good if you don't think you're very overweight. Get a haircut. Business suit with vertical pinstripes. That sort of thing. I think you should eat more sensibly, jog, and stick to that for a month. All these things will make yourself more confident. :)

For Kingsnapped: A very very big friend of mine once told me that when he couldn't afford a gym membership, he just did lots of push-ups and sit-ups, and he got quite big. I believe him. He says that you'll be as toned as many of the guys at the gym simply by doing pushups, situps, and arm curls with some soft dumbells purchased for the home because the average guy at the gym doesn't really know how to work out. As long as they look good, they get their money's worth. They don't care that they could get the same results just by doing pushups, situps, and dumbells.

He goes to the gym, but he still does push-ups, situps and weights. He got a membership because there's other equipment that complements this, like the bench-press. But yeah, he says that people who just want to look good should stay at home and do pushups, situps, and arm curls with their dumbells.

9. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Your ideal weight is your height (in cm) - 110 , X (Kg)

E.g 175 cm - 110 ... 65 Kg should be ok ... if you're near that weight but you think you look fat, then the problem is body shape and the solution is just "Gym"

But if you are over the "ideal" weight ... Drink, nothing with sugar, drink a lot, better just water, eat only the times you are supposed to do, (Breakfast, lunch, dinner) (breakfast ,lunch) (lunch, dinner), as already said, nothing before going to sleep, if you want to eat something in between, eat carrots :), yes, carrots... do a lot sports, fist slow and increase the rhythm everyday until you can challenge yourself the last week... :) Have fun!

hey, my brother, lost 20 Kg in 7 weeks... I think you can do it, I'm sure he was drinking water with some herb (That kind of drink you get from Vegan shops) Have you heard about Spirulina, do a google, it will help you too

It's just me, my experience and what I have seen, you have right to avoid these lines...

10. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

ok listen....

if you want to lose weight quickly you have two options

no-carb diet
    eating meats with not much fat in it and only that you will lose 15lbs in about a week and a half
    however this is a severe diet
    and unless you really really need to lose weight then suggest option 2

low-fat diet
    high exercise diet
    not only will you lose weight by going on one bike ride a day and eating healthy, it will make you fitter aswell
    eat things like jacket potato with baked beans (no butter or cheese of course)
    lean meat and complex carbs...

if you do ddo no 1... dont eat to much fat because it will make you lose weight real quick but stuff you up long term...

hope this helps
    toning also help try things like pilates (excuse spelling)

11. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Want to lose weight fast? Try these ideas.

1) Donate a vital organ. Comeon you don't need both kidneys or both lungs do you?

2) Remove unnecessary organs. Without a spleen and your tonsils your starting to look mighty slim.

3) Amputate. Your non-dominant arm (left for most people) would probably be the first choice, but its really up to you.

There you go, fast and easy weight loss, no dieting and no excercise involved!

12. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

4) Do not smoke whatever this poster smokes :eek: , insane!

13. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

makes I laugh.
    he he, being light hearted will save a couple of pounds too.
    and if it's in bad taste, you'll probably eat less of it.

14. aus_dave macrumors regular

You could always try the pizza and pancake diet.

That's where you get locked in a room for 30 days and they are the only things that can be slid under the door occasionally :D.

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    The way I lost the weight the fastest and easiest was with a bout of the flu. Most of the weight came off over the next couple of weeks because I didn't want to eat (even though I was back to full health)

On the the height -110 I should be 83 kg and that puts me almost 60 kg overweight. I will admit to being about 30kg over my ideal weight.

As for not needing equipment, Charles Atlas (maybe you have heard of him) had his whole body building routine done on isometrics and he got uber-ripped with nothing more complicated than some rope and a sturdy wall.

If you want to loose weight, think about what you eat as you eat it. Don't eat because you have nothing to do, don't eat because everyone else is. Additionally exercise when you can. Why drive when you can bike? Why bike when you can walk?

I used to be in good shape. I wasn't ripped or anything but I was benching my weight, squatting half a ton and had reasonable aerobic endurance.

16. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

the height - 110 rule is for girls :) , for men is height - 100 ....

17. Baron58 macrumors 6502

Stop eating. Just stop. Drink water, though, to keep from getting dehydrated (avoid ALL diet, soft drinks, artificially-sweetened stuff, juice and most especially, caffine). Chew gum to give your mouth something to do. Headache, lightheadedness, etc. goes away in a couple of days. You're not going to die, your body is just being whiny about wanting the same amount of junk it's used to. You have to shock it into changing it's ways.

After about 3 days, eat anything that has almost zero calories, but no artificially-sweetened stuff. Salad is good - organic spring mix, tomators, cucumbers, etc, with FAT FREE balsamic vinagrette dressing (no sweet-tasting dressing, and only dressings with less than 30 Cal/spoonfull). No bread, crackers, croutons, or nuts. A little low-fat feta cheese is ok. A HUGE bowl of salad like this will have less than 100 Cal. (if you're super careful about the dressing & cheese). Make it yourself, don't eat out. Have as much of this as you want - 3/4/5 times a day if necessary.

Have ONE protein bar (MET-Rx is the best) or shake every other day. If you're hungry, eat salad and drink water. If you're munchy, chew gum or eat raw celery sticks. A glass of red wine with dinner helps take the edge off, as well.

After a couple of weeks of this, find creative, spicy, non-fat ways to cook boneless/skinless chicken breast (the highest protien/lowest fat cut of chicken you can get) and add that to one meal daily. Do not use any pre-packaged products, they have too much preservatives & sodium added. After four weeks, schedule one day a week to go out for a good meal at a nice restaurant - I mean $35/entree nice. Have anything you want. After eating so organic for a few weeks, you'll gravitate towards the healthier stuff on the menu (that creme sauce suddenly doesn't look so appealing any more...) You'll have saved the money by not spending it on food the rest of the time. No desert, though.

This will really re-orient how your brain thinks about food. Go to a Williams-Sonoma store in the mall and look at the gourmet/organic/lighter/california-style cookbooks. Learn how to cook really good stuff, and not automatically think 'pizza' for convenient food.

I lost 35 lbs doing this a few years ago. There's no such thing as people who "can't" lose weight. Yes, they can - just stop freakin' eating. There are no fat people in Ethiopia.

I think there need to be body-mass detectors built into the automatic doors at supermarkets. Slightly overweight people will get a flashing light and a 'GO HOME' shouted at them. The really obese won't be allowed entrance at all. :D

18. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I'm not sure of the percentage of each but I do know both play an important part in getting fit.

More importantly DON'T worry about losing weight. Muscle weighs considerably more than fat, and if you start working out, chances are you will GAIN weight. Do body measurements instead (waist, hips, arms, etc) Do this once a week. Also take a snapshot of yourself. EVERY WEEK take the snapshot so you can see your progress. Don't wear baggy clothes when you take it. Wear a swimsuit so you can see what you look like and see the improvements.

Work out 3-4 days a week. Spend about 45 minutes on weight lifting on the 3-4 days. After your done working out, go ahead and have a snack (high quality protein/carbohdrate combination). You need the carbohydrate because when you lift weights, you use the glycogen in the muscles. The carbs help replenish them.

AVOID ALL JUNK FOOD!!!!

Also do aerobics in the morning, 3 days a week, for about an hour (bike ride, walk, jog, etc) Do this before you eat breakfast to get your metabolism.

One other thing: your 15 pounds in 30 days works out to less than 4 pounds a week. Or a 1/2 pound a day. That's one cup of water a day. Think about it :)

One more thing. You have to have the right attitude. Be confident. You CAN do it. Good luck :)

Sidenote: This little pep talk is inspiring me to get with the program- I've really slacked off the last couple of years. :eek:

This website might give you a little more knowledge http://www.eas.com/

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

First, some quick math. You have to burn 3500 extra calories to lose a pound. So, to lose 15 pounds, you have to burn 52,500 more calories than you need to maintain your current weight. In 30 days, that equates to 1750 calories a day (yes, you get the same by saying 1/2 lb per day).

That comes out to 3 1/2 pounds per week, which is quite a bit more than the generally accepted 2 lbs per week safe range.

Now I can't comment as to whether or not you actually need to lose the weight - there are many ways to feel confident and happy with yourself and your appearance without losing weight, as many here have said.

However, I recently lost about 13 pounds through, of all things, Jenny Craig. I thought it was some sort of crack operation, but my wife was looking to lose some of her post-baby fat and I joined her. And it worked.

The key, really, is just portion control. It's amazing how much we Americans eat on a regular basis without ever thinking about it. Just cut your portions down, eat fruits and vegetables, and snack during the day. Diets that restrict carbs or eliminate other food groups are intrinsically questionable in terms of health effects, in my mind, since they prevent you from gaining key nutrients from natural sources.

The key is just to burn more calories than you take in. This can be aided by exercise (you don't have to run a marathon, walking or climbing stairs or weightlifting are all good sources of exercise), but be sure to include exercise calories when determining your daily needs.

Also - get a buddy to go in with you or at least support you. If your friends hang out at Burger King eating Whoppers all day, it'll be more difficult to sit there with a salad or something.

20. emw macrumors G4

emw

One other thing - hopefully this desire to lose the weight will turn in to the desire for a healthy lifestyle. Sure, you have to cut back on the food for awhile while you adjust your metabolism and increase your exercise, but in the end you want to get to the point where you're maintaining your weight (or increasing it due to muscle gain) without feeling deprived.

Someone else mentioned that muscle weighs more than fat - very true. It also burns calories as you just sit around, which is another benefit. One thing that may be helpful is to get a scale that also monitors body fat percentage. For females, the healthy range is around 20-22%, so don't be surprised to see a fairly high number. So you may find that through exercising and eating right, you don't actually lose much weight, but that you see a significant decline in your body fat %, as well as an increase in muscle tone and an overall decrease in what are probably your key target areas - thighs and waist (no, I'm not being judgmental, just that's where most people throw on additional weight).

Good luck!

21. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

You have no idea how good of shape you can get in by running, and just doing pushups, situps, and pullups. Beach bod in no time.

22. nizz macrumors regular

probably the most important thing is to find a partner/group to do it with you. if you can do 50 push ups, being in a group will motivate you to do 60 or more.

23. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i went from a little under 170 lbs to 150 lbs in about 4 months. i know you don't have as much time, but here's what i did:

1) start jogging. and be consistent - i jogged at least four to five times a week, 30 minutes at a time or so.

2) cut the soda. or at worst, substitute with diet soda.

3) don't eat for two hours before you go to sleep, for me, this meant no eating after 10pm.

4) eat a relatively big breakfast, comfortable lunch and smaller dinner.

5) try to limit intake of simple carbs: rice, bread, etc. i didn't go all out low-carb crap - i don't believe in fad diets - but i did try to cut back on them only because they tend to not stay in stomach too long and made me hungrier quicker.

6) whenever possible, walk instead of driving, take stairs instead of using the elevator, etc.

good luck!

24. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Usually when i get too overweight ill just not eat as much as normal and like someone said before drink tons of water. Or if that does not work you could just ask that one olsen twin for some of her drugs.....it worked to get her ultry skinny.

25. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Don't get trapped by all these fad diets. Loosing weight is as simple as this: Eat sensibly and exercise more! That's it.

I lost 25 lbs. in about 6 months. I quit drinking soda and kicked my pound a week M&M habit cold turkey. And I started walking and eventually running a few times a week.

Before you get flustrated because the weight is not coming off, just remember that as you replace fat with muscle your weight might not change much, but you will start feeling better and will notice your clothes fit better.

Getting in shape is a committment that shouldn't be crammed into a few week timeframe. Just be patient and stay the course. Good Luck!!!!

e.