30" dell vs 30" Cinema display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cadkiller, Mar 22, 2006.

?

Which one is better?

1. 30" Dell LCD Display

60 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. 30" Apple Cinema Display

92 vote(s)
    60.5%
  1. Cadkiller macrumors member

Cadkiller

30" dell vs 30" Cinema display
    Which is better and why?
    Which one would you get?
    Does anyone know of any other 30" LCD display that's out there?

2. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

Dell has HDCP which some people seem to care for. Dell has a few other inputs and outputs that the Apple doesnt. I think the Dell has a card reader. Honestly you are buying the Apple for its looks, and possibly its ports(I don't know off hand if the dell has 2 firewire ports on it). I bought my Apple 30 2 weeks before the Dell was announced. No regrets, although I do miss the card reader(I sold my 2405 for a 30).

3. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

they're all made by the same taiwanese company anyway. what malfoy said.

4. iHeartTheApple macrumors 6502

iHeartTheApple

Honestly, I can't speak to the quality of the Dell, but it does seem high seeing as that there are many dell lcd supporters out there. Having said that, I voted for the Apple display. *drool* IMO, it the sexiest display out there and if I had the money to play with, I would definitely get one! I know it may be impractical and not worth the huge price tag, but Apple got me again with the sexiness...what can I say? :eek: :D

5. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

The Dell has more inputs but it also has more ugly.

6. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

Exactly how much more ugly? Does it have more ugly than it does inputs?

7. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

apple displays are just too good looking! a vote for the apple here.

8. Cadkiller thread starter macrumors member

Cadkiller

Isn't price and performance more important than looks?

I'm concerned mostly about which one can read small text better; since I work with CAD. Also how is the display quality when put side by side? How is the response time and so on?

A display can look pretty on your desk; but if it can't perform for a certain task what good is it?

9. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

Not to be rude, but dood, its a 30" screen. You can read small text just fine.

700:1 contrast ratio over 400:1, 11ms over 16ms, and 400cd/m2 brightness over 270

The Dell has better specs, but where its better, I don't think you'd really notice, especiallly in CAD work. As for brightness, I have mine set to below half brightness because anything over I find almost unbearable.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

its not just looks... the Apple displays are built more (how to put it)... solidly? sturdily?

dell displays, and dell crap in general has a very sloppy feel to it.

And personally, i dont buy a display for a card reader and 27 extra ports.

11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Personally I think if you're spending that much money on a screen then you really do want it to look nice!! If you were buying an expensive car would you rather have a nice looking one or a n ungly one?

The Dell does have a lot more connectivity options but from what I can gather they're pretty much identical panels.

Edit: Also I'd hazard a guess that the Apple 30" ACD will have a much higher resale value in 3-5 years time when compared to the Dell.

12. Cadkiller thread starter macrumors member

Cadkiller

That depends if I'm racing or not. I'd rather be in first with an ugly car than in last place with a beauty; but that's just me.

If I can read this small text at a high resolution without zooming in and out that saves me time and time is money. If the text is fuzzy and I can't read it, than that is bad.

As far as resale goes, I'm not planning on selling them down the road anyway. When they come out with something new the old displays aren't worth anything. I have some old 24" & 21" CRT's that I would like to get rid of; but what would I get for them?

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The 3007FPW Dell LCD doesn't have the connector options of the 2405FPW or the 2005FPW.

The 3007FPW ONLY has DVI in for video.

14. Cadkiller thread starter macrumors member

Cadkiller

Connector options like what? Can you explain more?

What does the Cinema display have for video that Dell doesn't?

15. link92 macrumors 6502

Actually, the two displays use the exact same LG LCD panel (although have different backlights), from what people have worked out, it just looks like Apple is less optimistic with their specs.

Oh, as for why I've got the ACD, I bought it in August 2004, around a year and a half before the Dell was announced.

16. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I don't think that's what he means. I think he's comparing it to the smaller sized dells which have loads more connections so maybe the Dell only has DVI meaning the only advantage over the apple is the on screen controls and memory reader, is that right?

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah the screen controls and the memory card reader are the only features that stand out on the Dell. You DON'T have S-Video, RCA, and Component in on the 3007FPW like on the smaller 24" and 20" LCD's.

Both the Apple and Dell 30" screens have Dual Link DVI inputs are their only sources of video in.

18. raster macrumors regular

What is a dood

19. themacman macrumors 6502

The Apple 30'' and the Dell share the same screen, i think, but withh apple your basically paying for style. I've seen the Dell and its great but the Apple jsut looks much more impressive.

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If money were no object, I would get the Apple. Without question it does look better (appearance, not screen quality).

...but, unless you're very lucky, money is an object. In which case I'd get the Dell in the blink of an eye.

MUCH cheaper.
    FAR better warranty (very important IMO).
    More ports.
    Not fugly by any means.

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Well you don't get FireWire on the Dell. You do get the card reader though.

22. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

BTW Cadkiller, do you have anyone in your family that's a student? If the answers yes then you could buy a 30" ACD through them and get the student discount - this puts it way closer to the Dell's pricing level.

Edit: After the standard student discount the ACD is $2299 vs Dell's $2199. Not much in it.

Edit 2: Wow! If I were to use the extra discount my University gets, the ACD becomes £1493.43 while the Dell would be £1471.10. For £22.33 I'd go for the ACD without question!! Crazy. I just have to find £1500 now...

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

With the vast price difference, plus all the other things the Dell has that the Apple doesn't, I *think* I could just about live without a couple of FireWire ports.

24. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Dell. The beautiful ACD case does not justify the price difference. And it is not like you will be sitting in the middle of a public place, where people are going to say "Oh look at that black ugly Dell case, if only he had gotten the ACD, he would fit into society."

25. Iyan macrumors newbie

Dell 30-inch is the frumpier, country cousin of Apple's

This was well said by CNET review.
    Apple's 30-inch LCD was about 1-2 year ahead of Dell's product (Apple started production in 2003 while Dell started last year.
    Both products use the same LCD panel but different circuit design. Of course Apple has the best group of hardware and firmware engineers (these people are doing stuff more than just put every parts together) among the computer companies.
    The secret of Taiwan OEM manufactures:
    Dell is always using parts which can't pass the QC control set by Apple, IBM, Fujisu etc to cut cost. These parts has potential (just potential) to fail under long term usage. Unfortunately ram, hard drive, LCD parts are among those lists.
    Dell's LCD give you a 3-year warranty, why? Because they last bare beyond that period. Apple only gives 1-year warranty, why? Apple's LCD for sure lasts beyond 5 year.
    For lots of Dell LCD owners, you want to know how bad your LCD panels are?
    Turn off every light during night, switch your Dell monitor to a black background, and... Have fun and see virtually every Dell monitor has a dirty face with different uneven backlight all over the screen!!!!