30" Display and TV?

Discussion in 'Community' started by whw5, Apr 28, 2005.

1. whw5 macrumors regular

I am thinking about getting the new 30" apple display for use as a T.V. If I were to do this, what would I have to do? I do not want to buy a new computer to make this work. Is there anyway to hook it into our tivo and use it just like a flat panel HDTV?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Why on earth would you do this??? :confused: The 30" ACD is not a TV, it's a monitor. If you want an LCD TV then buy one, it will be far better as that is the job it was designed to do.

3. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I want to do the same (one day). It may not make sense for every individual's lifetstyle, but it does for some.

Some very GOOD reasons to do this:

1. You use your computer and TV in the same room, like I do, and having one less device hogging wall space is desirable.

2. You like using your computer and watching TV together, and like having TV be in-a-window or fullscreen at will, with the rest of your controls being unchanged.

3. You can't justify the COST of a 30" flat panel TV AND a computer display, so you want your existing display to do double-duty.

4. Your computer IS your DVD player (like mine is).

5. You want to use your computer as a DVR instead of having a separate device from that. I'd find that convenient, the way I'm set up.

Anyway, I'd like suggestions on the same question.

Three general strategies to look into:

a) Turn off your Mac and run your HDTV receiver, DVD player, or whatever right to your Cinema Display. Home theater stuff sometimes has DVI connections, so that could be doable. Less than ideal, for me.

b) Video capture into your Mac from the tuner (such as a VCR, cable box, satellite receiver, HDTV tuner etc.) of your choice.

c) Using your computer AS the receiver (which adds additional recording/management/DVR capabilities too).

Hardware for this could be external (Firewire or sometimes USB) or an internal card. ElGato makes some stuff.

I was looking at ElGato's HDTV receiver for Mac. Looked pricey for now, but these things will come down.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

- nagromme

I would agree maybe with the point you make about if you wanted to use it as a monitor and TV. But from whw5's post, that does not seem to be the case.

If all you want is a TV, I would never buy a computer monitor to do the job.

5. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Yes, I think his needs/wants may be less than mine.

But some of those points are still important: especially, not wanting to buy two big screens! That ain't cheap--and even if you can afford it, it depends how often you'd need it. If you don't watch TV much, or already have another TV, then maybe you really only want a big screen sometimes. Re-using a cinema display that also offers benefits for your computing makes sense then.

Best of all is if you already have most of what you need to make it work.

6. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

I just had the idea of it, and I was wondering if it would work. Hopefully the next generation of displays will have some more inputs. It would be cheaper than getting a HDTV though

7. andrewfee macrumors 6502

If you're wanting to use an Apple display as a TV, the 23" is much better than the 30"

The reason being that you need dual-link DVI on the 30" ACD to get full resolution; if you hook up anything that's regular DVI (hdtv equipment, component > dvi box etc) then you're limited to half the resolution of the screen. (1280x something)

The 23" ACD on the other hand is single-link DVI so you can get the full resolution out of HDTV equipment, meaning you have a 1080p capable screen. (well, it's slightly taller as it's a 16:10 screen)

I haven't personally tried this, but I'm told a VDigi VDZ3 is a great component > vga box, and you can then buy a vga > dvi adapter.

480i probably won't work on your ACD no matter what you do though (unless you have a TV card for your mac) it'll have to be 480p hooked up to your display.

I've often thought of doing this, as I love the design of the ADCs over any LCD TV etc I've seen.

8. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Good point. (In my case I'd use my PowerMac G6 :) so I'd have DualLink.) Then again, a lot of TV content would be lower res than the 30" even with a SINGLE link, so maybe no harm done in those cases.