30 GB iPod or 80 GB iPod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ajbrehm, Dec 12, 2006.

1. ajbrehm macrumors 6502

I am not sure which iPod to get, 30 GB or 80 GB.

30 GB is cheaper and somewhat lighter (gramm-wise).

But 80 GB is cheaper per GB, I think. 80 GB is obviously also better than 30 GB. But is it worth the money?

Questions:

Does anybody here often run into the problem that a 30 GB iPod is too small?

I don't listen to much music and would probably use the iPod for podcasts more often, replacing episodes as they come along. Does anybody here use an iPod like that and run into space problems?

Heck, I think I won't even use the iPod much at all. Should I still go for 80 GB, just-in-case?

(I know the questions sound stupid, but I'd really like some input.)

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

sounds like if you don't need to carry it and listen on the road, u can just buy an external harddrive, lol.
    podcast just need a mp3 player, any mp3 player, and unless u are subscribed to many video podcast, 30G is enough. and if you don't keep all the old episodes, 8G is good enough.

3. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I use my iPod as a backup of all my music and photos, so I say the bigger the better. Yes, I have managed to fill my 40GB and am just waiting for the 80GB to come down in price once a larger iPod comes out.

5. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

iPod for backup

80 GB might be too small for a serious backup. :-(

I am using an external hard disk for that. It's cheaper.

But thanks.

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You have more than 80GB in music and photos? I didn't mean my entire system, of course thats what externals are for.

7. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

I might have. My Music and Pictures folders certainly are that big.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

doesn't really sound to me like you have any need of something bigger than 30 GB. Also, the 30 GB model is noticably thinner and lighter than the 80.

9. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

The 80GB has a longer battery life so you can actually watch all of your feature length films without hassle.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

80GB also has 20 hours music playback battery life versus 14 hours on the 30GB and 6+ hours video playback versus 3.5 hours on the 30GB.

Pretty sure it also has double the cache (64MB vs 32MB) to reduce time accessing the HDD.

30GB is thinner and lighter though.

I'd go for the 80GB just because you never know what's going to happen next and you may as well have all the space you can get.

11. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You may want to hold off until Jan, and see what mac world brings... I have 30 GB, and it's more then enough.

12. shunpike macrumors regular

I agree with Chundles, go big - but make sure it has more than a 1 / 2 year warranty!

13. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

By looking at your library in iTunes, you should be able to judge what size you need. I had a 30GB and quickly ran out of space, so I sold it and bought an 80GB. I think I should be good for a while now. :)

14. MrPineapples macrumors member

MrPineapples

I have a 60gb which is the same size as the 80gb & I don't think it is as attractive as the 30gb as it's noticeably fatter, it is however to small in capacity for me.

If I didn't need the space I'd be happy with the 30gb.

15. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

16. whawhat macrumors 6502

i agree with ^.

its just a few weeks away so why not wait. i still have my old 3rd G 20 GB and its sufficient. will def. get a full screen ipod if it ever comes around and get at least 50 GB to hold tv shows and photos.

17. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Why is the 80 physically bigger than the 30 anyway? More plates on the HDD?

18. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Exactly! And with the extra space from th ebig HD in the gap they fitted a bigger battery, it all adds up.

19. ajbrehm thread starter macrumors 6502

Very good.

I think I will wait for January.

Thanks everyone!

Now PLEASE have a look at my other thread about the external hard disk. :)

20. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

that's why i got my 60

21. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

While Apple may announce an iPhone at Macworld, don't expect the iPods to be updated. Just think about the millions of people who are getting shiny new iPods for Christmas (and Hanukkah) this year, and how many of them would be pissed-off and trying to exchange them if Apple were to announce updates only 2 weeks later. It would be a PR nightmare for Apple.

There's certainly no harm in waiting. After all, Apple could announce some other cool product that you'd rather buy, but don't be too surprised if nothing major happens to the iPod line until the spring.

22. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

My old 30 lasts for about one shortish feature length movei, it depresses me.

23. donjohnnyson83 macrumors newbie

Well i have an 80gb and it is now full, Rumor has it that a 100gb is coming out soon, so my advice is: EXNAY ON THE IRTYGB . . . THAY;)

24. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I had a 30gb photo before I upgraded to a 60gb video - the 30gb was WAY too small, seeing as I have 35gb of music alone (and don't forget the 30gb doesn't actually format to a full 30gb.. I think it was 27 or so).

That said, it doesn't sound at all like you need or even want anything larger than the 30gb from what you said in your original post, so why waste the extra money? Use it towards a nice case or some other accessory.