30 GB iPods

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cypher, Nov 23, 2003.

1. cypher macrumors member

I was wondering why apple discontinued the 30 gig ipods? Is there some sort of problem with the design cause i dont remember them being in the market for a very long time.

What are the upgrades mede from the 30gb to the 40gb,,,other then the HDD abviousyl....

Thanks!!

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I don't think there was anything wrong with them, they were just discontinued. It's a shame too, because they were a good size. I have 25 gigs of music, and the 30 gig would have been perfect for me. I wish they still had it, the difference between the 20 and 40 gig is too much.

3. skymac macrumors member

I wish they could have discontinued the 10 GB and made it 15 30 and 40, for me 15 GB would have been the perfect amount of space but i guess i'll have to settle with a 20gb;)

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

you can still find 30 GB sold halfway between the prices of 20 and 40 GB at some stores, like Best Buy/Circuit City. (It's basically $50 off because 40 GB is at the same price as the 30 GB used to be and 20 GB is $100 cheaper than 40 GB.)

5. cypher thread starter macrumors member

I have a 20 gb 2 G ipod right now and im almost out of space.I wanted to upgrade to the 3 G because they are so much slimmer but the 40 gb is the same thickmess as my 2g Ipod.So i was looking to upgrade to the 30 gb as it was slimmer w/ more capacity.

6. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I wish they kept the 5 GIG around ...

i don't need to be able to play 10,000 songs in one sitting... hell i don't think i know 10,000 songs

LOL ... everyone here is spouting what size they think is best ... figure i would join in:D ;) :)

7. Mr Ed macrumors newbie

What do you think the next iPod size will be, 50 or 60?

I personally liked the size of the 30, I can't even fill 15 gigs of it yet... and the rest is for file storage.

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I think 40GB will be either the largest or second largest iPod for a long long time, or at least until more features (like video or some other storage intensive feature) is added.

You guys are missing one of the best features of the iPod when discussing its size! You can backup all your data onto the iPod, or at least the most important data.

9. cypher thread starter macrumors member

Re: 30 GB iPods

10. snofseth macrumors member

to who ever said it i'm pretty sure the 30 is the same as the 40 its to bad the 30 and 40 cant be the same size as the 10 and 20 I used to have a ten and now I have a 30 I kinda miss how thin it was, but now I have gotten used to the bigger size so it fells normal but i think the 10 being smaller in someways is easier to hold

11. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

That's correct. The 10, 15, and 20 are all the same size, and the 30 and 40 are also the same size.

Also, having a 15, 30, and 40 model really wouldn't make much sense at all. a 15GB difference between the bottom and middle, and only 10 between middle and top?

The cirrent lineup is very well thought out. The 10 is the base model. $100 more gets you a case, a wired remote, a dock, and double the space. $100 more gives you double the space once again, however this is also double the increase of the original increase. Very well done I think.

12. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

yes, as already stated, the 30gb model was discontinued to make way for the 40 gb model as the highest capacity ipod. so they had discounts going on the 30gb when the 40gb models came in, and with the educational discount, i only paid $399 for for it. good timing got me 10gb more than the new 20gb model for the same price!

it's a good size for me - i don't have that much music to fill it up, but use the remaining space to back-up the hard drive of my powerbook. not sure if they still have the 30gb left in any stores, but maybe. hope you can find one if that's what you want.

marianne

13. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I have a 30 and love it. Picked it up that first weekend. No problems, and jsut the right size.

14. JulesK macrumors 6502

Would Love Small Capacity iPod

Off topic, certainly, but: I would love if Apple came out with a solid-state, "mini" iPod with something like a 1-2GB capacity. Carrying a $300-400 music player isn't worth it to me. I would rather have something that is cheaper, more durable, and with better battery life, even if I could hold "only" 200 or so songs. FM tuner would be great (we can always wish...).

I think it would make sense for Apple to come out with something that works seamlessly with iTunes that doesn't cost $200+. Some people just want to carry around a few tunes.

15. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Apple won't go into the solid state compact flash/mmc/sd card MP3 market. There are already hundreds of these players, many which work on the Mac (most have no iTunes support though). Apple would get lost in that market and just end up losing money.

Check C|Net for those solid state MP3 players. They review products very well.

16. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

It is listed at the apple special deals section for only $279, not in stock, but i'd imagine it might come back, so check them out. There are probably some places that still have old stock, so be on the look out.. There's always used/refurb or ebay.

17. cypher thread starter macrumors member

Arn't the ones in the apple special deal also refurb??

18. Wano macrumors 6502

I think the new 20gb is perfect for me! I have a music library of about 10gb and i average about another 1gb monthly, so I think the 20gb would suite me really well. Christmas is coming!!!!