30 inch ACD to make a good TV?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Peyton, May 12, 2006.

1. Peyton macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    Hey, I'm thinking about getting an http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv250 and use it to watch tv on a 30 inch ACD.

Does anyone know what potential problems there will be? Will the feed from eyetv 'fill' the screen?

Are there any adapters to plug in a regular DVD/1000w stereo system into a usb or firewire?

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Mar 24, 2005
    A religiously oppressed state
    The only problem that you might get is that the resolution is much much bigger then the TV feed is so it would look bad blown up.
  3. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    thanks ben, does any one else have experience with this/know for a fact some drawbacks?

thanks again
  4. quidire macrumors 6502

Aug 11, 2004
    Washington DC (in Kalorama Triangle)
    I have the EyeTV 200, and the biggest problem is that you have to hook up these devices to "non-digital cable". What I mean is, I have a cable box attached to my TV that uncompresses a different feed that is reasonable quality. Attached to the same loop is the eyetv and the feed it gets is lower resolution and has more noise. Anyone who has the former has the latter (your device will work) and yet its hard not to be miffed at plain old analog video.

In addition, any low-res feed on a higher-res monitor ends up looking a bit off unless they anti-alias a bit; certainly no consumer video capture device has that feature. I've just transitioned all TV watching to Netflix; DVD video holds up well to high resolutions (and there are no commercials!)

Where is CableCard 2.0? That will (well, might) solve all our walled garden problems.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much; if you want to watch TV on your 30 inch, it will work well; it will look worse than normal TV but not by much.
  5. link92 macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2004
  6. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    Normal TV programs' resolutions are not good enough to take advantage the high resolution ACD. I would rather use the LCD TV (which is marketed for TV use) for TV viewing. I have 20" and 23" ACDs; I don't want to waste their longevity by watching TV programs on it (this is my own opinion).
  7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    I use a 23" with EyeTV EZ in the UK. From a distance it looks fine to be honest, but close up you really see the poor quality due to the sheer number of extra pixels in one of these displays. If you just want it for a TV, get a TV. If watching TV on it will be something of a sub-purpose and you'll also use it for a computer then go for it!

EyeTV has options to remove all the black outlines and make the picture full screen.
  8. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    Cool, I actually just want to record shows via eyetv 250, and watch them at random on the screen, and an occasional DVD. Sounds good, I'll wait until at least august to see if new screens come out with the new towers. ;)