30 inch vs 23inch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macharrington, Jul 31, 2004.

1. macharrington macrumors newbie

Aug 30, 2003
    Two questions. I will be using Final Cut pro, new user.

1. I'm thinking about getting 2.0 vs 2.5 so i can spend more on memory and monitor. does this make sense for final cut pro. seems like monitor may be worth investing more than processor.

2. are there any drawbacks to 30 vs 23? for example, are the pixel's smaller and harder to see. I read somewhere in Apples literature that 23 is perfect size for wide screen and pixel size and wonder if you lose something on bigger screen?

2. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    well they are both great monitors since you can do highdef editing on both of them. I still find my mom's 23" to be huge, but I don't sit at it all day. I used to think my 20" cinema was huge as well, now its not enough and i have since gotten a 2nd monitor. remember you also have to invest in extra money with the select video card for the 30", while the 23 you do not. and with the money saved on the 23 you could also invest in a 2nd monitor, whether it be a cheap crt or another apple screen.

3. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2004
    NYC & Baltimore
    If you are thinking of ever getting a powerbook in addition to the g5, the 30 inch is not for you. The 30" would be my choice if I had the money for the display and the video card. Good luck.....
  4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    30" is really only for high-def pro's or maybe editors of large photos. You can get TWO 23" monitors for the price of a 30" and the required video card! :eek: . But I am sure the 30" is a beast.
  5. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    I'm going to say the 23". I mean, damn, you have to sit a good 3 or 4 feet away from that one to see the entire thing at once, I can't imaginehow bad the 30" will be at that.
  6. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

May 1, 2003
    If you are not editing HD, then the 23" will be more than fine. With the 23" you can view two 100% SD windows with a decent sized file browser window, and a great sized timeline running across the bottom. The 30" won't even show two 1080i/p windows at 100% but it gets close. Really, if you are a begginer, I am sure the 23" will be more than enough.

As for monitor being more important than processor, not really, it depends. In most cases if one is doing intense work with multiple video layers and multiple filters, it will take longer to render out the final video, or even a preview, if RT extreme has reached its end.

Really, you should get the 2.5 with 2gigs of ram the the 23", that will do great for a begginer, and pretty cost effective, as opposed to the 30" route.
  7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
  8. the future macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    The pixels on the 30" are exactly as big as on the 23" (and, indeed, on the 20"), as all the new displays are roughly at 100 ppi (pixels per inch). So individual objects will be just as big/small on the 30" as on the 23".

If I had the money I would absolutely go for the 30". Plus I think the DP 2.0 G5 will very very probably be fast enough for everything you want to do with it. If at some point it isn't anymore, you can always max out the RAM later on.