30 million iPhone 5 sold and only a few are reporting bend, scratch and camera issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lke, Nov 28, 2012.

1. lke
    macrumors 6502a

I have read that over 30 million iphone 5 has been sold to this date. If the bend, scratch and camera issues are as bad as we read here why there is not many people speaking about this.

Maybe the first production of the iphone 5 was bad and then Apple make some changes to have better quality.

Could it be that some people are overreacting to the issues of the iphone 5?

What do you think about this?

2. macrumors 68030

Spink10

Yes

3. macrumors 6502a

Minhimalism

Most people don't even care about small nicks and stuff.. They just get the phone and then use it. The problem just seems exacerbated because people here on forums like these are more likely to bring them up (aside from the bending.. I'm sure anyone would notice and not be okay with that.)

4. macrumors 68040

F123D

I've seen plenty of scuffed and scratched iPhone 5's. The average user just doesn't notice or care.

5. macrumors 6502

Wow 30 million iPhones? That's almost 31 million!

6. macrumors 601

What do u expect from people who can't decide between black or white?

7. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Return rate for the 4 was less than 1%, people who (think) they have issues will complain a lot more than people with devices that work.

8. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Where did you read that?

9. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

It's in the thread title. :D

10. macrumors 65816

:D that gave me a good wake up chuckle thanks.:D

11. macrumors 6502

China overtook the US this year as the largest smart phone market in the world. In the second quarter Apple's market share halved to 10%. Wall Street Journal reported today that Apple's market share dropped to 6.9% this quarter even as Lenovo's market share increased from 1.7% to 14.8% for the quarter ending September. While I do not think quality is the reason for Apple not being successful in emerging market. I do think that Apple's strategy of using wireless providers as the default gateway for sales is one of the reasons. In much of the world, consumers buy their own phones at full price and then select a wireless provider. When the consumer is paying a full price, value for money and quality has a bigger impact. Samsung is still the market leader in China but Lenovo is expected to be the largest in China in 2013. As an Apple shareholder I would like to see Apple focus on the rest of the world including the emerging economies where the smart phone market is not yet saturated like the west. I would also like to see Apple overcome their supply chain issues and sell iPhones to all who want to buy it in the US. (Apple still does not sell unlocked iPhone 5 to customers outside of the big 3 wireless providers). No doubt it does sell iPhone 4S etc to anyone who wants to buy one.

12. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Using carriers as the gateway for sales - and delaying availability of unlocked phones - benefits Apple such that I'd wager most people think a 16GB iPhone 5 costs just $199.

13. macrumors 6502

I would accept that proposition if the US was the center of the world. The reality is that like Cars, the largest smart phone markets are now outside of the US. Apple as a global company will need to adapt to the fast changing market.

14. lke
    thread starter macrumors 6502a

I buy 2 black iphones and they don't have any scratches or bend issues.

I am sure that the first production of iphone 5 has some issues because my 2 black iphones are perfect and without any scratch.

15. macrumors 68000

NovemberWhiskey

I've been through 6 iphones with scratches/nicks/scuffs now. Some more serious than others.

It's a pretty common problem. It's more likely that only a few OCD owners like me are complaining about it.

I've only seen one flawless iphone 5 (the first one I bought from the Apple store on launch day with ZERO flaws in every possible way). Unfortunate that it was a 16GB and I sold it to buy a 32.