30% of iPhone Users Leaning Toward Using iTunes Match

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 21, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramsky today published a report sharing the results of a new survey of iPhone users, unsurprisingly revealing that 76% of surveyed users are planning to take advantage of Apple's free iCloud services. More significantly, the survey offers the first look at the popularity of iTunes Match, with 30% of respondents indicating that they are somewhat likely or very likely to utilize the $24.99/year service.

Extrapolating the survey results across Apple's iOS ecosystem, RBC notes that Apple could see 150 million users on its free iCloud services with 60 million of those also participating in iTunes Match, a figure that would see Apple pulling in an extra $1.5 billion per year in gross revenues. With Apple reportedly keeping 30% of iTunes Match revenue with the rest being passed on to music labels and publishers, Apple would see about $450 million in revenues from the program.

[​IMG]

Those figures are likely on the optimistic side, however, as only 10% of surveyed iPhone users registered as "very likely" to sign up for iTunes Match, with the other 20% pegging their interest at a lower "somewhat likely" level. Approximately 15% offered no opinion on whether or not they would use the service.

The survey also finds that 73% of surveyed users are somewhat likely or very likely to use Apple's new iMessage service in iOS 5. Together, iCloud and iMessage are seen to "enhance loyalty and stickiness" for Apple's customers, potentially encouraging iPod touch users to stick with the iOS platform rather than defecting to Android or another platform when it comes time to purchase a smartphone.

RBC's data appears to come from a subset of approximately 450 iPhone users within a larger survey containing nearly 1,500 respondents.

Article Link: 30% of iPhone Users Leaning Toward Using iTunes Match

2. macrumors 604

wordoflife

Count me in the 70% who does not plan to use it.

3. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Huh. Well I guess Apple knows what they're doing.

I would never consider this service myself unless Apple goes back to selling iPhones with just 8 GB. But short of that I'll continue to load what I need on the phone.

But I guess someone's gonna buy it or they wouldn't have made it.

4. macrumors regular

I think its a little bit too early for anyone to make a definitive decision as to whether or not they will sign up for the iTunes Match service.

The $24.99/year service does look appealing to me, but the details surrounding the terms of service are still very scarce. I think a lot of the people who voted "Unlikely" either don't know much about iTunes Match or want to wait to see the details.

5. macrumors 65816

Y'know there's something I haven't clicked on this iTunes match yet.

If I have a catalogue of, say, 1000 mp3's that I ripped myself, pay the $25 for a year of match, what happens next?

I presume I download the matched songs, now do we know if these are DRM protected (to prevent me potentially pirating thousands of albums over a year, matching them all and getting my music illegally, but cheap) or do they come DRM free so once I've used match they're mine to keep?

I'm intrigued and haven't noticed a lot of solid info on this of yet.

6. macrumors newbie

What does it mean for a survey to offer 3 options and interpret 2 of them as "likely"?

"Bias" is the word here I guess

7. macrumors 604

wordoflife

This is how I look at it. I have a 32GB phone on which I can store my music, so there's really no need for me to buy this iTunes Match thing. Plus, that's just going to eat up a bunch of bandwidth, which really doesn't help on these new data plans. Not sure about what you are saying, but I can already make my decision at this point. This service is useless to me.

8. macrumors newbie

I believe Jobs said it was (256kbps) DRM-free in the Keynote.

9. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I don't understand your comment. Match isn't a streaming service. I consider it more of a syncing/download anywhere service. (i.e. You burn a song from a CD or download from Amazon, Match would automatically download them to all your devices)

10. macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't think we 100% know for sure, but no other music on iTunes has DRM now. I find it unlikely they'd bring it back after all the trouble they went to to get rid of it.

But the idea is that you can download a song away from home that you have on your Mac but never put on your phone. While not technically "streaming" it still effectively fills the same role. In other words, if you paid for this you'd use it instead of a streaming service.

I'm just saying I'd much rather continue to work the way I do now rather than pay for this. With a large memory drive in my phone I doubt I'll have any trouble doing that.

That was my only point.

11. macrumors regular

d0minick

Not for me.

Unless they came out with a "iPhone Air" or a streaming service. I just enjoy keeping my stuff in certain folders with certain names on certain devices.

But if it's for you go for it! 25$ is nothing.

12. macrumors 6502

Count me in on the 30%

With over 400 of my old CDs ripped to MP4s, I think this would be a nice service. For music I really like, I still buy the CD because the sound quality is simply better. Being able to rip it once and have it available on all my devices is worth $25/year.

13. macrumors regular

I may do it the first year if they are non DRM files that wont disappear if I don't renew the following year. even if they are not could downloadable after a year.

it would also be good if it will let me download dongs i've already purchased in itunes in 256k, since I have songs that were never eligible to upgrade or or no longer available to buy, yet I can could download them still and they come as protected 128k still. (i've tried)

so still lots of questions on this match service.

14. macrumors 65816

With iTunes match, do you actually get the replacement song files downloaded to your computer, or do you just get the matches "in the cloud?"

In other words, could I subscribe to iTunes match for one year and get all of my ripped songs from iTunes and then drop it a year later and continue to have my songs matched in the cloud since I now have "official" iTunes files on my computer?

15. macrumors 68020

smithrh

I'm in 100%, but not on Day 1, I want to see how this all works first.

I have a LOT of pre-iTunesMS content.

16. macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's my understanding of it, yes.

17. roland.g, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011

macrumors 603

roland.g

Dumb.

From what I can understand, this doesn't give you live access to your playlists etc. It is just the ability to download (not stream) songs to your device that you suddenly want to hear but didn't sync. Sure it maybe fast downloading that begins quickly and seems like streaming, but it doesn't allow you to access playlists and cache/buffer songs, so you download on a per song or per album basis to update your device to your listening needs. Personally I would sync what I want, and if I don't have it I'll sync it later. Maybe I would take advantage of the ability to download a song I've purchased from iTunes, but I don't see any point in paying $25 to have access to all my non-purchased content (my legacy ripped CD collection) just to get to it when I don't have it.

Only if those songs are in the iTS library. If you have rare CDs, or like many of us, Official or otherwise unofficial Bootlegs of Live Concerts either from CD or back from the Napster days, the match service would allow you access to this supposedly, but it would count towards the 20k limit and would never be replaced by Official iTS tracks at 256 kbps.

18. macrumors newbie

at 2 bucks a month; I'm in day 1. It's worth the $25 bucks just to see how it works and how much I'd use it and have my library completely backed up etc...
    just a no brainer for me - probably spent the cost of it just thinking about it!!

ken

19. macrumors newbie

30% seems like an extremely high number.

Like WAY too high.

I think 10% is about the best they could hope for.

But I guess time will tell.

20. macrumors 603

roland.g

I have 500-600 ripped CDs available on all my devices. It is called syncing. Rotate and reuse.

21. macrumors 68000

kiljoy616

22. macrumors 68020

Reach9

23. macrumors regular

I think you're kind of illustrating my point ... since when was iTunes Match a streaming service? Not sure if that was covered in detail during the keynote.

I think with the $24.99/year, you are basically paying for convenience rather than unlimited storage. If I download an album on my computer, I'll be able to access that album with my phone without any uploading. That, and you basically get the 256kbps version of the song, which alone I would gladly pay $25 for.

24. macrumors member

So if you buy all of your music from iTunes, this service is pretty much superfluous, right?

25. macrumors member