30" screen cheaper than Apples?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by YoYoMa, Sep 30, 2006.

1. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

I'm considering a screen that has the resolution and size of the 32" Cinema display, but hoping for one at a cheaper price than the Apple. Either that, or one of better quality at the same price. Any suggestions? What exactly is there out there that competes with this screen?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's a 30" monitor, not 32"... anyway, the Dell 30" is substantially (~20%) cheaper and of similar quality.

3. hush macrumors member

I think you mean 30", don't you?

4. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah 30", sorry about that. So the Dell has the same resolution and quality and is 20% cheaper? Not bad. Throw in a few coupons and that might just be the ticket. How do they look? Do you have a model number?

5. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

The panel is, but not the casing. :) Unless they are doing something different than they do with the 20" and 24" models.

6. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, I'm looking at it now and it's quite nice, except for the word Dell written all over it. It also looks as if it tilts vertically as well; not bad. Is that pretty much the best competitor?

7. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

If you check out the setups thread, there are quite a few people who have Dell monitors. They also seem to have a lot less issues with the halo effect than the 30" monitors. :)

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

And the Dell monitors are quite nice. I was a bit shocked.

9. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

By the way, are there any slightly larger monitors than this that also run this resolution? The reason I ask is because it would come in handy when working farther away from the monitor, which I know will happen frequently.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you're working farther away, buy a 1920x1080 ("full HD") capable HDTV with DVI input(s) [Westinghouse sells some for under $2000]. But I know of no larger monitors with resolution comparable to the 30-inch monitors.

11. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh, well, the very high resolution is actually the thing drawing me to this screen, even if a lower resolution would allow me to work farther away. That'd be too bad if 30" were the maximum size, are you sure that's accurate?(it would make my purchase decision easier at least :).) I would definitely be interested in the largest screen with this resolution though (as long as it's reasonably priced) so if anyone knows of any feel free to chime in. I'd also be interested in some monitors similar to the Dell and Apple that don't say Dell everywhere;), although the Dell really is a very good looking monitor.

12. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow! The Dell's go for $1300 on eBay! That's fantastic!

13. aneks macrumors regular

opened up and checked the Dell's, Apple's, Sony and Samsung's all have the same LCD panel. Depending on your region Dell can be as much as $1000 cheaper. I use a 23" ACD at work and a 24" Dell 2405 fpw at home, I have placed them side by side and they are increadibly similar. I would much rather purchase the dell as it has a lot more inputs including analog and vga, plus it has a usb hub and 5 in 1 card reader.

14. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

i dont think 30" will be the end. Some people think 30" is way to big, my neck hurts, etc... but i use a 37" lcd tv and used a 20" together on my g5. Bout a foot away. If i could aford it i would have 2 30" monitors.

Your sounding link you'd be better off with a tv than a monitor. If i understand you want to look at them from a distance.

Did dell have a price cut? When apple lowered the 30" to 1999 i rember posting and congrad. apple on having the cheapest 30" anywhere.

wow 1500 for 30". dang.

15. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Dell's 30" is $1699 regularly, but there are always sales on it. Right now it's $1529.10, so pretty much $470 cheaper than Apple.

16. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Well with Apples EDU discount and shipping on the Dell, that price would make it about $200 more expensive than the Dell, so I'd prob go with the Apple at that price. The eBay prices are around $1400 shipped which makes the Dell $400 cheaper and a much better value than the Apple. The only thing it would be missing is a cooler name, like Apple or Samsung.

17. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Dell has free shipping, just like Apple.

Apple's edu price is $1800. When you figure Dells are always on sale, to about $1550, and the fact that they both charge tax, I don't see how you ever figure that Apple's pricing will be cheaper?

Plus, there are a TON of Dell coupons floating around for 20% off (I just used one to buy myself a 24"). With that coupon, the Dell 30" drops to $1360+tax.. SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Apple's (who never seems to have any sort of discounts or sales or significant coupons, btw).

Plus, the Dell has a slew of extra ports that make the Dell a better buy, IMO. But that's a whole other debate, probably.

18. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Would that coupon work with the 30"? I was under the impression that Dell coupons exclude the 30". If it's included then I'll be buying that screen ASAP!

I didn't know Dell offers free shipping as well. Don't they charge shipping for their laptops?

Also, I meant to say that the Apple would be $200 more expensive than the Dell. Mixed up the names, sorry about that.

19. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Ah, you might be right about the coupon excluding the 30" - I didn't do any looking for that, since I wasn't in the market. That's too bad if they do, but $1530 isn't too bad, either.

As for shipping: I don't know about Dell's other products, but for their "peripherals," any item over $49 ships free right now (and has for the past few weeks). They market it as an "additional discount," which implies that it may not be the case forever, though (unlike Apple, who just has free shipping as standard).

Good luck on the buy. When and if you do, be sure to post pictures to make us all jealous! :p

20. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I think it's pretty much the only competitor... I would buy that because it is worth it to save the money.

21. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i have a dell tv. which i love, and i'm selling my 20' acd cos i just ordered a 24 dell. but they take forever to send it. Its a great deal those dells, they can turn vertically. I can let you know what its like when i get it if you haven't already ordered. it.

And they redesigned them from a year ago, they look much better not as much weight in the back

22. iGary Guest

iGary

And completely hideous.

23. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I have to agree with iGary, the 30" ACD wins hands down when it comes to looks. :)

24. the kid 05 macrumors regular

St. Charles Illinois (subdiv of Chi-town)
    the last one is the most expensive at 799.99 :)

Olevia 332H 32" 1366x768 / 8ms / 1600:1 Contrast Ratio / HDMI / PC Input / LCD Display with Speakers and Stand - No Tuner
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2191145&CatId=0

Sceptre X32sv-NagaII 32" 1366x768 / 800:1 Contrast Ratio / 8ms / HDMI / DVI / PC Input / LCD TV w/Speakers
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1777603&CatId=0

Hyundai Q321 32" 1366x768 / 1000:1 Contrast Ratio / DVI / ATSC Tuner / HD LCD TV w/Speakers & Stand - Black
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1597385&CatId=0

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

some people need the space and for it to be fuctional and still be quality so the dell works fine. not everyone has alot of dough to spend on a dang acd jeeze

plus the dell is not hideous by any means