30"tube of 27" flat tube

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by markjones05, Nov 22, 2003.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I need a new tv and I could use soem advice. Do u think it would be better to get a 30"tube set or a 27" flat tube set. They are about the same price but i dont really know the pros and cons between the two other than the 27 looks better. Im looking at the 27" flat tube Toshiba by the way.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

go flat screen they look brighter and better. i have a flat screen 27 and with dvd its as sharp as i could ever want.

3. evil macrumors 6502

i have a flat screen tv too and i love it. i would go for the flat screen.

4. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

yeah, my school got our house a big JVC flat tube, i think its about 42 inches, and its awesome.

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I have a flat screen 27" Samsung that is the very definition of kick ass. I definitely say go for it. They provide better picture, color, and not to mention they look so much cooler.

6. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

you'll be really happy with a flat screen! your viewing experience will be changed completely after the purchase. does the toshiba have any glare protection? and make sure you check the ports - see if you can do all the good stuff, ie... s-video, component, optical. it'll cost you more, but just consider it a viewing investment till Hi-Def gets in a better price range. which won't be until a few more years.

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The Toshiba should have all those ports with their flat screens. I was looking between both a Toshiba and the Samsung I got and they both had anti-glare screens, dynamic contrast control, 2 sets of component inputs, 3 sets of RCA inputs, s-video, etc. The Samsung even supported limited HDtv, so that isn't bad on a $500-550 TV.

8. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

i have a 24" Sony Wega, or Vega whatever its called, and it great. Whatever you do make sure that you:

A. buy a TV with a progressive screen, this will make your TV compatable with the a HD antenna, if you decide to get one later.

B. buy a TV with all, if not most, of the composite video in and out ports— S-video, RCA jacks, the hole package.

A friend of mine worked at BestBuy in the TV department and told me that the Flat screen are better because they don't give you that annoying glare, and because they have a clearer picture. He also told me thet Toshiba and some of those other brands tend to have more reddish looking screen when compared to a Sony because Sony uses more Blue in there tubes, incase you haven't noticed when you are at the same picture on diffrent TV's in Bestbuy.

Heres the specs of my TV:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT..._item_b&ProductSKU=KV24FV300&ContentItemPage=

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Just be careful when looking strictly at the colors of the pictures from TV to TV at places like Best Buy. I also had a friend who worked for Best Buy a few years ago and I can tell you from not just experience but hearing from an employee there that many times they mess with the contrast/tint settings to purposely make certain models appear to have a better picture to aid in sales of particular models.

10. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

My friend works there as well and he told me exactly the same thing. They will even mess with the reception to make it look grainier. Scum bags.

11. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

$1,000,000 question

I rather enjoy this thread, as it brings up points from a soon to be a forgotten art

Can anyone guess what the real reason if for a flat screen looking better, sharper, etc??

Hint : it has nothing to do with glare..

Max