30 years!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's how long I've been working in public service. I've had government jobs almost all my life.

And tonight, when I get off work, I will have completed thirty years of work, which means I can formally retire...at the tender age of 48. :D :D :D

It's great for my family, because thanks to the George Bush Equal Opportunity Poverty Program, I've only been able to find part-time jobs, with no health insurance, up until now. After tonight, I'll be able to continue working and begin collecting on my retirement...which means my income will immediately triple.

It still isn't gonna be what it was when I had a good full-time job years ago, but it'll be tons better than the last few years, which have been hard. For once, I won't have to take a second part-time job just to barely pay my bills.

I'm serious about this -- the last few weeks, I've been praying a lot for God to keep me healthy, because if I were to die just short of my retirement date, my wife (my beneficiary) would get nothing. And she's not working right now, because she's caring for her elderly mother with Alzheimer's. So if anything had happened to me, she would've been really screwed.

So I'm trusting the good Lord will keep me around for a few more hours, to make sure my family's provided for.

Well, I'll see you guys tomorrow. That is, unless He's got a really sick sense of humor. :p

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations on 30 years of government service. Thank you for your service to the public. I am a little confused about them being part time jobs. My working career has been in government also.

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, my first public job was part-time, and both of my current jobs (one of which is public) are also p.t. But the government job I held the longest -- over 20 years -- was full-time.

Actually, though, in my state, you get full service credit for any public job in which you make more than $250 a month. I'm not rakin' in the bucks on this current job, but I make more than that, easy, even part time.

And hey, I hope you can enjoy the same kind of benefit some day soon, wdlove.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Congratulations on your retirement! I've never worked directly for the government, although I've participated in government-contracted work. There's more paperwork involved, but at least the government is usually good about paying its bills, eventually. Somehow, you stuck it out 30 years without letting the rules and regulations wear you down.

I'm sure you will stay healthy and your family will be fine. If anything, your stress level will be lower, and that benefits health. With your new salary level, be sure to save for retirement. Financial advisers usually say that paying into your retirement fund is even more important than saving for the kids' educations.