Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Hello I am looking for a html text editor that color codes html tags. I am used to using cuteHTML on Windows which works EXCELLENT! I would assume there is something like this on OSx? I dont want anything to "build" webpages for me like Dreamweaver.

For doing html by hand (and copy/paste) the colors really help your eyes work on a complex page easier than just using textedit for example.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I may be biased, but I think OS X is the best platform for web development.

Coda (based on SubEtha, but you get FTP, a CSS editor, reference books chucked into the deal), TextMate, TacoHTMLEdit, Smultron, SkEdit etc. etc. etc.

There are loads of options for any budget.

Try a few before you commit.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
No don't try Text Wrangler.

No cocoa = no fun.
Really? Why should I care if an app is Cocoa or Carbon, as long as it works? I use TextWrangler myself, and I think it's wonderful for HTML editing, as well as editing other forms of source code.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Really? Why should I care if an app is Cocoa or Carbon, as long as it works? I use TextWrangler myself, and I think it's wonderful for HTML editing, as well as editing other forms of source code.

If you are familiar with TextWrangler and the BBEdit approach then by all means keep using it, no one is stopping you.

But to recommend it to someone new to a Mac over the number of more modern, better alternatives is irresponsible in my opinion.

Cocoa is the future and they will be better served in the future using a Editor built using the cocoa frameworks.

Loving Coda so far.

Good to hear! Despite only being version 1, it is an incredibly promising product.

Fahrwahr

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
Southeastern U.S.
Back when I had my own domain (even though there was no point in me having one), I was a big fan of PageSpinner. They've kept it up-to-date over the years (from the classic days to universal binary), and from the reviews on VersionTracker, the features added in each version seem to make a difference. I recommend giving it a try.

Maybe nobody likes the really old fashion style of text editors anymore but I believe that OSX comes with emacs as well as other text editors. If you install the developer tools that include "X11" which is the Mac OS version of the X Window System, then I think that you can drive emacs into it's own separate window. Otherwise, you'll have to use it in the Unix console. Either way I'm sure that your Mac comes with the emacs program.

Emacs takes a long time to get used to but once you get used to it, I think you'll find it to be appropriate for pretty much any language that you program in or even for HTML. If you decide to open up emacs, you can use the command:

M-x global-font-lock-mode

to gain color. "M" I believe is actually the 'esc' key on macs. On other systems it is sometimes the 'alt' key. global-font-lock-mode is something that you'd normally type manually but emacs allows you to use the 'tab' key to fill in what most of us are too lazy to type.

Just a thought since I figure nobody has brought it up and you shouldn't have to download any program. Sorry if this is a bad idea.

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
But to recommend it to someone new to a Mac over the number of more modern, better alternatives is irresponsible in my opinion.

Not new to Mac by any means just new to this kind of app on OSx :)

heySparky

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Oregon
I may be biased, but I think OS X is the best platform for web development...... TacoHTMLEdit

This is my choice for my limited needs as it is very affordable. I like the live preview feature. To be honest, I really haven't used any of the others because I stopped looking after trying TacoHTMLedit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.